New peafowl mom!

sunnie7

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 24, 2016
Southern Indiana
I have no idea what I just got myself in to.....I have a neighbor down the road that always has a variety of any kind of animal you can think of and he says I’m getting to be as bird crazy as he is! We left his house several times with the kids bringing another pet home....kittens...twice, guinea pig, we trade chickens and today it was 10 peachicks. He got 21 peachicks from someone he knows and sold me 10 for $200. I’ve raised several groups of both chickens and guineas but never even read a thing about peachicks until tonight. I’m doubtful I’m going to keep all 10 I think I’d like a trio but I have a couple friends that have been wanting them too.
Can someone tell me about how old these look and maybe if you can tell what kind they are? I’ll get better pictures of the younger ones tomorrow.
Also, I have the 2 older ones out with my almost 2month old guinea keets, is this okay? The younger ones are in the garage with a heat lamp. I’m in southern IN and it’s been in the 90’s here.
AF3B468D-04C5-4721-A0E5-0368CFFCAC1F.jpeg
00B4890A-5A59-45F8-9576-D4B5C4939F03.jpeg
74AA44EC-03B9-45EC-B03E-057458D915C0.jpeg
610FFAAF-AAF4-4482-9EAD-6A1FBA81831C.jpeg

The younger ones are two to three weeks old and the biggerer ones are six to eight weeks old. The ones outside will be fine as long as they have a heat lamp at night and you monitor for cocci. They will get cocci and you will have to treat them at some point so keep a sharp eye out for them getting ruffled and droopy.

The younger ones are two to three weeks old and the biggerer ones are six to eight weeks old. The ones outside will be fine as long as they have a heat lamp at night and you monitor for cocci. They will get cocci and you will have to treat them at some point so keep a sharp eye out for them getting ruffled and droopy.
What do I need to have on hand to treat cocci? Also if they were just wormed is it 3-5 weeks before I work them again?

What do I need to have on hand to treat cocci? Also if they were just wormed is it 3-5 weeks before I work them again?
If they are not on the ground they do not need to be de-wormed as they have no contact with worms or eggs. Cocci is air-borne and can travel on your hands and clothing so they should be treated every two to three weeks for cocci then when they are put on the ground every three to four weeks they should be given safeguard for goats orally or in their food.

Back
Top Bottom