New Quail Aviary

Jennyfromtheblok

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
For the last year I had my quail in battery cages (wynola ranch, hatching time and a wooden one) but I really wanted to put them in an aviary. A year later and we finally got around to putting one up. I find myself going in there throughout the day just to watch them. I installed a camera inside today too. They seem to be so much more comfortable now. I unfortunately could only put one male in there..I had 3, they fought, then two and they fought despite having tons of room so now only one and it’s a peaceful environment. So all 10 of my males remain in the cages. I didn’t realize I had 10 until I moved them, I thought I only had 6.
Anyways, it’s still a work in progress on the inside but I did predator proofed the perimeter so nothing could dig under and put ivy fencing around 3 sides so they feel less exposed. Just wanted to share some pics so far. Any suggestions on what I should add inside, change or would be better for them?

Attachments

• F286D806-2350-405C-98E9-37D804671BC6.jpeg
    F286D806-2350-405C-98E9-37D804671BC6.jpeg
    859.7 KB · Views: 117
  • CFED86A9-C324-4913-8856-44B22149B32F.jpeg
    CFED86A9-C324-4913-8856-44B22149B32F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • FBB88DF6-DCF5-4477-ABDC-A197EC53DC98.jpeg
    FBB88DF6-DCF5-4477-ABDC-A197EC53DC98.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • 66D9EA87-3FEF-43A4-9FCA-C310108029B9.jpeg
    66D9EA87-3FEF-43A4-9FCA-C310108029B9.jpeg
    714.5 KB · Views: 77
Nice aviary! Only thing I can think of in adding to or putting the finishing touches on, would to paint the treated wood frame with 2 coats of an oil base paint....it will last for years (much longer than just the treated wood) without having to replace the wood, especially the bottom of the frame on the ground.

Nice aviary! Only thing I can think of in adding to or putting the finishing touches on, would to paint the treated wood frame with 2 coats of an oil base paint....it will last for years (much longer than just the treated wood) without having to replace the wood, especially the bottom of the frame on the ground.
Thank you! That’s a great idea. I will do that.

That aviary looks great! If you want to really spoil them, you could add some platforms a few feet off the ground for extra space. It takes a bit of time but quail can be coaxed to use ramps or stepping stones to go up, if they don't figure it out on their own.

Another thing, after a while they'll exhaust the grass in there so you may want to consider putting down a layer of dirt/mulch/chips/etc in which old poopy stuff gets composted and replaced. I do this in my aviary and they go crazy when I add fresh ground cover. I spray down the cover and rake it up to make it last longer which they also go crazy for.

Quail are masterful mulch makers!

That aviary looks great! If you want to really spoil them, you could add some platforms a few feet off the ground for extra space. It takes a bit of time but quail can be coaxed to use ramps or stepping stones to go up, if they don't figure it out on their own.

Another thing, after a while they'll exhaust the grass in there so you may want to consider putting down a layer of dirt/mulch/chips/etc in which old poopy stuff gets composted and replaced. I do this in my aviary and they go crazy when I add fresh ground cover. I spray down the cover and rake it up to make it last longer which they also go crazy for.

Quail are masterful mulch makers!
Thank you! I will definitely try your suggestions. I’d love for them to climb up the tree stump I have in there but they’d rather just hide behind it.

You might be able to have two roos coexist if you add some clutter or dividers. Anything to prevent them seeing from one side clear to the other. Multiple feeders and waterers help with that too.

Back
Top Bottom