New Rooster

Hiimscott

Chirping
Feb 24, 2022
Hi guys, I've recently just brought a new rooster into my flock, he is a Silkie around 6-7 months old.

I live in suburbia where roosters are 'not recommend' I contacted my local council and they told me that I can have one, but if I get too many complaints I'll have to move him on.
I created a night box which he now sleeps in until 9am

His crow is somewhat quiet and doesn't go for very long, but he crows very consistent for the first 10 minutes then it drops off and after an hour he stops completely and won't start again until the next morning.

My question is, as he gets older will he crow more throughout the day as he just starting out? Or will this be a trait he will keep throughout his crowing life..

Totally understand that every rooster is different and it's very hard to tell the future but if any of you guys have had a similar experience I'd love to know what happened as he developed.

Thanks ☺️

Attachments

• CD149D4B-EC53-4E5B-939C-4AAA98F23ED8.jpeg
    CD149D4B-EC53-4E5B-939C-4AAA98F23ED8.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 8
I've not noticed consistency with my roosters. Sometimes they crow a lot. Other times less so.

I can't say you will always have this behavior in him.

A thought. You might consider a "No Crow" collar. It fits like a dog collar on the rooster, at the base of the neck, and prevents the swelling of the loose skin there. This prevents the loud boom (like a bag pipe). All you hear is a low "ah ah ahhhhh."

I have had great success with mine over the last 8 years. You DO have to consistently check to make sure they are still fitting well and not causing issues. Also, the first couple of days you have to fiddle with them until you get them in the "sweet spot."

I like to buy mine from My Pet Chickens. That collar in my opinion is the best.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom