New Roosters- How to integrate?

JordannL

Songster
Jul 7, 2023
W.V.
I'm currently on the way to pick up 2- 9 month old Polish Roosters!! I'm so excited. I currently have 20 hens/pullets. All 1-3.5 months old. 3 of the oldest girls are dominant. I'm trying to figure out how to integrate the new roosters. The woman I'm getting the boys from says they're really sweet, but I know my girls are sassy. Who do I separate when I'm adding the boys in to the coop?

Remember to properly quarantine the new males prior to introducing them to your flock.

In addition to keeping them separate and far away from your flock for 3-4 weeks, this would include treating them for internal and external parasites and trimming/filing their nails and spurs and also making sure that their crests don't impede proper vision.

I don’t mean to be a damp rag but… even after 2 weeks separated by netting my 16 wk old roo did not fare well with the 16 m old hens— in with them not even 2 minutes he got absolutely trounced by a once docile ISAb! I finally had to separate the hen and her sister again from the new run- they relentless attacked him. I was surprised the older hens instantly lashed out, backed him into a corner kicking and pecking his feathers out! It wasn’t worth trying to force it
Then in the calm, in the run with 4-14 weeks old pullets he was fine, until he tried out his courting on the smallest BR, his fav… she screamed so I ran to see— feathers flying sho ‘nough she bounced back up when he gave her a piece of grass.
I’ve enjoyed his little crow but I just don’t have space for chicks. ….I resigned to dispatch him today, plus the alpha hen🤨

He's 9 months old? And the pullets are at most 3.5 months? He's into the hormonal idiot phase and the girls aren't laying yet. Do you have any older hens? They will thump the presumptuous cockerels and teach them manners. The cockerels will try to mate the pullets even though they aren't ready yet. Older hens will make the cockerels court them first. If the young idiots attempt to mate without demonstrating their ability to find good food and safe places to lay eggs, the older hens will tell them no.

Back
Top Bottom