New run door

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
Installed another Omlet on my run today...it's gonna make things easier for when I can't get back before the roost time to lock the run door. Since they already had one on the coop it was easy for them to go in tonight for the first time.

Attachments

• New Omlet door.jpg
    New Omlet door.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
We did the same thing installing a second omelet door on our run too. Ours was for vacation purposes as I could not stand the thought of them being stuck in their run for a week and didn't want the chicken sitter to have to deal with getting them in and out. You will love it.

That is very cool. Nice clean job.
I don't want to be a debbie downer but I see a couple places a South Georgia predator can get in.
Under or around the door has always been there....there's really no way that I can figure how to secure it. It better be skinny whatever it is, everything else is like Ft. Knox

We did the same thing installing a second omelet door on our run too. Ours was for vacation purposes as I could not stand the thought of them being stuck in their run for a week and didn't want the chicken sitter to have to deal with getting them in and out. You will love it.
Kinda the same for me....I have a friend that does not mind coming by to check on them but I don't want to take advantage of him. We will be out of town for a week in December so all he will have to do is come get any eggs they lay and make sure they have plenty of food and water which should not be a problem with a 30# feeder and 10 gallons of water :)

I have put the pullet shut door by chickendoors.com on my coop to run. They were the only company that I saw who had tested their doors in Sub-Zero weather. I live in Minnesota. It was more expensive than many other products but after hearing many testimonials and seeing many online reviews, I was convinced. I LOOOVE it and it was really easy to put in place. For myself I just screwed it to a piece of wood, cut a hole for the door and screwed the wood/door combo to the coop. @mossyoakpro You could easily do this by predrilling some holes and using bolts, washers, and nuts to either side of the fence, to close up some of those gaps. I've had to make my coop and run seriously secure because we've had 3 cats and a bird dog in our family before the chickens. There is not much hope of the chickens easily coexisting with the predators here. 🤣
I looked at the Omlet doors, I nearly bought one of them. Your mount job looks really well done.

Cheers!

I have put the pullet shut door by chickendoors.com on my coop to run. They were the only company that I saw who had tested their doors in Sub-Zero weather. I live in Minnesota. It was more expensive than many other products but after hearing many testimonials and seeing many online reviews, I was convinced. I LOOOVE it and it was really easy to put in place. For myself I just screwed it to a piece of wood, cut a hole for the door and screwed the wood/door combo to the coop. @mossyoakpro You could easily do this by predrilling some holes and using bolts, washers, and nuts to either side of the fence, to close up some of those gaps. I've had to make my coop and run seriously secure because we've had 3 cats and a bird dog in our family before the chickens. There is not much hope of the chickens easily coexisting with the predators here. 🤣
I looked at the Omlet doors, I nearly bought one of them. Your mount job looks really well done.

Cheers!
The pullet shut was my second choice in doors but I decided to give the Omlet a whirl....there's several hundred feet of hardware cloth on that coop/run but the door has always been an issue. My mechanical mind is always looking for some way to get that door a little more secure but not yet. Good thing is once they get into the coop....NOTHING can get to them in there. The entire coop is wrapped with hardware cloth with wood over it, I always say that if something going to get those birds at night they better bring a pry bar and wire cutters! LOL

Back
Top Bottom