New silkies - training them to go in the coop at night!

9reasons

Chirping
Oct 29, 2022
I have two grown Orpington girls (about 1.5 years old) that go into their coop every night to sleep. I got two young silkies for Christmas (about 12 weeks old) and kept them separate until three nights ago to quarantine them and because they were still on medicated grower food. I introduced them properly to my older girls three days ago. They seem to largely all get on together although clearly the silkies get the odd peck here and there. I understand it's quite stressful for them changing their sleeping arrangements again, everything is new for them including the food, so patience is a thing.

The first night the silkies went into the run part of the coop and the automatic door shut behind them but they slept on the floor together. There is a ramp that goes up into the coop but I'm pretty sure they will be fine going up there. Anyway last night as we were going out, I brought them inside in a mesh pen and when we came home I took them out in a little carrier and lifted them into the coop while everyone was sleepy. They were all out this morning. We were out again today and got back just before dark and my big girls had gone to the coop but the two silkies were on the ground outside the automatic door so I brought them in again waited about an hour and I've just taken them out and put them in the coop again. I went out about half an hour later and the two pairs are quite happy in the coop sleeping with each other. The photo is a very old one when I first connected the coop and run together and they now have an automatic chicken door on the end of the run so on the right of the photo? There is plenty of room for the four of them up in the coop.

My question is am I doing the right thing to train them/give them an idea of where they sleep? So obviously to get out of the coop they have to walk down the ramp. I know silkies are not the sharpest tools in the shed so I'm prepared to be patient with them but just would like some advice if anybody knows of a better way to help train them to go up into the coop/roost area or maybe continue what I'm doing? Thanks 😊

Attachments

• IMG_3740.jpeg
    IMG_3740.jpeg
    652.7 KB · Views: 24
I have only silkies, and have found they'll only get along when the youngest ones are full grown, or about 5 months old. I have put for instance a hen, then a hen and a rooster in the pen with the little ones on occasion while they were growing up and that worked, but the reverse of this did not. Ours would do the same thing, sleep right outside the door on the ground, but wouldn't go in.

I'm sure the younger ones are afraid of going in there. I don't think there is anything wrong with what you're doing, but I don't know how to dispel their fear.

The only idea I can think of more for you to try is if you get a portable lantern to sit right inside the door so it's lit up for them. Maybe they'd go in late at night when they know the others are in there already, then sleep on the floor, and be the first ones out in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom