New to cockerels need help integrating and helpful boy advice. Also have ONE Bantam to add!!

Skswen

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2023
Portland, CT
I need help! I have 15 established hens (Lost 5 hens to a fox this summer first time losing any :(. I got 8 chicks to add this spring two ended up being dudes, got a set of bantams for the first time lost one one night one. I Have NO experience with integrating cockerels. I decided to keep them because I feel in love and they are so handsome and cute! I need any knowledge I can get one roosters!! I also need any advice on how to integrate this sweet little tiny bantam to the flock. Some can be really bitchy. Last thing I want is her to get hurt.

Young bunch are already living outside in grow out inside established hens run.

My thoughts…

I have decided if I want the Roos to have their own little add on in the coop I wouldn’t make them stay in their addition the whole time and would be able to separate their food, give hens a break. Where we would add it had a window so they could see in and we could flip up to hang on cold winter days!
One cockerel my favorite Bear is definitely the main guardian over their group. If I start bringing the girls in the main coop slowly and out of their area will he have a hard time adjusting, with this cause him to be mad, cause tension with the other boy? Basically what to do????

The girls, ONE bantam pullet, 4 EE pullets, 2 boys!! Help!! I don’t want the bantam to get hurt, don’t want the boys going nuts in fact idk what to even do with them haha. Please help me with any advice! Will the bantam be ok to go right in the coop when the others do?

Thanks for your time sorry for liking post!

I need help! I have 15 established hens (Lost 5 hens to a fox this summer first time losing any :(. I got 8 chicks to add this spring two ended up being dudes, got a set of bantams for the first time lost one one night one. I Have NO experience with integrating cockerels. I decided to keep them because I feel in love and they are so handsome and cute! I need any knowledge I can get one roosters!! I also need any advice on how to integrate this sweet little tiny bantam to the flock. Some can be really bitchy. Last thing I want is her to get hurt.

Young bunch are already living outside in grow out inside established hens run.

My thoughts…

I have decided if I want the Roos to have their own little add on in the coop I wouldn’t make them stay in their addition the whole time and would be able to separate their food, give hens a break. Where we would add it had a window so they could see in and we could flip up to hang on cold winter days!
One cockerel my favorite Bear is definitely the main guardian over their group. If I start bringing the girls in the main coop slowly and out of their area will he have a hard time adjusting, with this cause him to be mad, cause tension with the other boy? Basically what to do????

The girls, ONE bantam pullet, 4 EE pullets, 2 boys!! Help!! I don’t want the bantam to get hurt, don’t want the boys going nuts in fact idk what to even do with them haha. Please help me with any advice! Will the bantam be ok to go right in the coop when the others do?

Thanks for your time sorry for liking post!
I'd suggest you put the boys in crates, give them food and water. They should get used to the flock and if they are getting along in the crate and they are all calm they can be put with the flock during the night. Putting the Cochin pullet in at night is also good as they can all get used to each other and they should be calmer with each other if they wake up together.

Back
Top Bottom