New to Goslings

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello there!

I am looking to add 3 ducklings and 2 goslings to our farm this spring. I am looking for any advice, tips, information, and resources you can offer. We have chickens and sheep on our farm and this jump into ducklings and goslings would be new for us. I would really like to raise the ducklings and goslings together to help develop a peaceful relationship between them. I know that both ducklings and goslings grow much faster than chicks and plan on keeping them inside until they are feathered and ready to be outdoors. Thank you so much for any info you can share with me. I'm so excited about this new chapter on our farm!

I haven't raised the two species together and I'm not sure if I would just based on how fast the goslings grow. They will be trampling ducklings pretty quickly, and your heat source would be hard to adjust due to the size difference. Also the diet is a bit different with goslings doing best eating lots of grass pretty much from the start.

Hopefully someone who has raised them together can help out. I'm also curious if it can be done.

I’ve never raised them together, only separately. Ducklings are a lot messier than goslings, they’re both waterfowl but ducks in particular seem to think life is a big fun raw sewage pool party at every age. Goslings can be messy but not as messy as my ducks were, I love my ducks too but sometimes I can’t help but wonder at times if they’re possessed or intentionally trying to drive me mad.

I’ve seen some raise chicks, ducklings, or goslings in a baby pool with wood shavings, that seems like the best most sanitary way to raise a lot of birds. I used smaller plastic bins because I usually don’t raise more than two at a time and it was easy to clean out daily.

Goslings and ducklings are very cuddly and crave all of your time and attention and sometimes they shriek if you aren’t in their line of site, as the goslings grow spending more time with them is important if you want them to like you, life is easier if you have a good relationship with your geese. Bonding with your ducks will make them less skittish and they’ll like you too, but ducks can be neurotic so don’t take it personnaly if one day they decide they hate you, the next you're their soul mate, and the day after that they don’t seem to know who you are. Ducks are hilarious.

I love my ducks too but sometimes I can’t help but wonder at times if they’re possessed or intentionally trying to drive me mad.

A bit of both I think lol one of my first babes started quacking nonstop in an AH AH AH pattern. Nothing was wrong, but she would do it while eating, drinking, in the tub, outside, it didn’t matter. I could not believe the volume coming out of such a small animal. After like three weeks she just stopped out of nowhere but I could still hear her ghost quacks ringing in my ears for a few days after she stopped (and no I didn’t eat her lol she’s still alive & loud as ever)

Back
Top Bottom