New to poultry, need turkey advice

Edgars Mom

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
Hello there... One day last week I woke up and had no idea that I would have turkeys. By one o'clock that afternoon arrangements had been made and 6 BBW poults were being delivered. We put them in a Rubbermaid and started researching every thing we could find on turkeys. We had initially planned on raising a few turkeys for meat. By the end of the same day, we had decided to try to raise heritage turkeys and had ordered 6 Bourbon Reds and 6 Sweetgrass. They are due to hatch in a couple of weeks. Our plan was to keep a trio for breeding next year and raise the rest for the freezer. Going forward, our plan is to hatch and raise about a dozen a year for meat and keep the parents as pets.

So.... We are scrambling to get ready for them and trying to decide how to set them up. I have a 11' X 12' stall in my small horse barn and we are planning to build a "bedroom" for them. We are having it converted to a secure coop because my barn doors stay open in the summer. My plan was to cut a door in the outside wall of the barn for them to come and go. Is that enough space for the nights when there are up to 20 birds in there? Also, do I have to keep the Tom separate and do I need to divide that space? In the winter there will only be the trio and three laying hens. But in the summer the kids will be in there too.

Initially we thought we would let them free range and herd them into the barn at night to sleep. I have a large barnyard (111' X 120' or so. Adjacent to that is a small pasture (3-4 acres) that is visible from the house. Our plan was to drive them out onto the pasture and back in at night.

But I hadn't considered predators and we have some resident foxes that cruise through that pasture during the day, as well as Hawks. We also have Coyotes and raccoons but I was only worried about daytime predators. I also don't want them annoying my neighbour who is fairly close to us. Her lawn butts up to my barnyard.

We decided to enclose the barnyard by adding chicken wire to the board fencing. The fences are 4' high. The woman we are getting the poults from said that if we clip their wings, they will stay in the barnyard. But I keep reading stories of birds performing remarkable feats and escaping.

The other options are to build an enclosed pen off the side of the barn (which we will probably do anyway to let them out when I don't feel like herding them or we are going out for a few hours) but I really don't want them to live in that full time. The other option is to build a tractor to move around during the day in the pasture. As they wouldn't be sleeping in it, I wouldn't have to worry about determined predators. It would mainly be to deter a casual encounter with a fox or an arial attack.

I would really appreciate thoughts or advice before we go to the cost and effort going forward. Is it possible that with clipped wings they will hang out in the barnyard? Are there tractor designs that are more for casual daytime use rather than having to be very secure? Do I need a permanent run right away? We already bought 400' of chicken wire to enclose the barnyard and aren't sure what to do next.

Any advice from experienced keepers would be greatly appreciated.

My shed is around 11x12 and hold up to 15.

If you have more than one mature Tom you will have fighting and possibly injured hens at mating times.

I personally prefer my turkeys confined unless I'm out to keep an eye on things as they like to get into everything, and will harass other poultry species.

Thank you for your response! We are designing a pen right now. It won't be predator proof as with Covid going on it seems hardware cloth (and chicken wire) are in very short supply. We managed to get some chicken wire and are going to build a run approximately 19' X 36'. It will be about 7 1/2' tall with a chicken wire roof and a wall and section of roof made from corrugated plastic for protection from rain and sun. I'm hoping this is large enough to be adequate for up to 15 heritage turkeys.

Thank you for your response! We are designing a pen right now. It won't be predator proof as with Covid going on it seems hardware cloth (and chicken wire) are in very short supply. We managed to get some chicken wire and are going to build a run approximately 19' X 36'. It will be about 7 1/2' tall with a chicken wire roof and a wall and section of corrugated plastic for protection from rain and sun. I'm hoping this is large enough to be adequate for up to 15 heritage turkeys.
That will be cramped quarters for 15 heritage turkeys. I have a total of 8 adult heritage turkeys and my run is 50'x100'.

That will be cramped quarters for 15 heritage turkeys. I have a total of 8 adult heritage turkeys and my run is 50'x100'.

Wow! How tall and does it have a roof? That must have cost you thousands to build. Ours is going to cost around $1000 and it is only going to be 8' with a roof. You must have posts everywhere to have that much space covered with a ceiling!

Wow! How tall and does it have a roof? That must have cost you thousands to build. Ours is going to cost around $1000 and it is only going to be 8' with a roof. You must have posts everywhere to have that much space covered with a ceiling!
My run does not have a roof. The fence height is approximately 6'. I scavenge materials so the cost is not that much.

The section where the turkeys roost is higher and does have 2" netting over it. The owls really freak out if they get caught under the netting.

My support posts are 6"x6" because of the heavy load that can occur with the wet fall and spring snows.

My run does not have a roof. The fence height is approximately 6'. I scavenge materials so the cost is not that much.

The section where the turkeys roost is higher and does have 2" netting over it. The owls really freak out if they get caught under the netting.

My support posts are 6"x6" because of the heavy load that can occur with the wet fall and spring snows.

Do you not have escapees with that set-up? Everything I read says even with clipped Wings they can scale an 8-foot fence. We don't want to build more than we have to. The thing is that I need to ensure they don't get over onto my close neighbours property because they are particular about their lawn and have people riding horses. I would feel terrible if one of my turkeys spooked a horse and someone got hurt. That said, if we can save a few hundred dollars that would be awesome.

Do you not have escapees with that set-up? Everything I read says even with clipped Wings they can scale an 8-foot fence. We don't want to build more than we have to. The thing is that I need to ensure they don't get over onto my close neighbours property because they are particular about their lawn and have people riding horses. I would feel terrible if one of my turkeys spooked a horse and someone got hurt. That said, if we can save a few hundred dollars that would be awesome.
Right now my hens are letting themselves out of the run first thing in the morning. The run is inside an approximate 2 acre area that has a 6'x2"x4" welded wire perimeter fence. That area is so desirable with its varied vegetation and small pond that they have no desire to escape. On a rare occasion such as being spooked by a predator a hen may escape to my lower field and then starts running the fence line trying to get back in. I just open a gate and heard the turkey back in.

Back when I had a horse, he never spooked due to a turkey.

Back
Top Bottom