New to the group

Dozalay10

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2023
My name is Amanda. I am new to the group. We have chickens, muscovies, and blue Swedish on our property. This past week one of my blue Swedish (around 5 years old) has not been wanting to come out of our smaller pond. So I have been feeding her on the bank while she was still in the water. I went to do the same today and couldn’t find her. She was in a thicket and wasn’t interested in food. I brought her in the house to warm her up. She seemed like she was shivering and it was only in the 20s this morning. She’s been on a pillow in front of my fire all day. She’s finally sitting up like a duck and not with her neck stretched. She’s only interested in water not food. She just threw up some water. Any advice or help is appreciated. We have never had any issues before

Is it possible to keep them in a chicken aka duck coop??? If so she might not know where home is and is thinking that the pond is her home.
If you don't have a duck house, I would really start thinking about getting one also to keep them safe from predators.
It sounds like she might have half froze and drown. I would keep her in your house, or somewhere warm and dry, also out of the rain that is coming threw lately.

I think that is a good idea to offer some vitamins/electrolytes since she is drinking.

At 5 yrs old and sitting in water when it's in the 20's may have just been too much for her
I would keep her where you can keep an eye on her this could be the start of something and getting her warm and offering some vitamins/electrolyes should help perk her up. Especially since she is finally sitting up sounds like the warmth has helped.
She is middle-aged now.
Does she have wet feather by chance? or are her feathers good and oiled from her preening?

Back
Top Bottom