Newbie Q's: Am I selecting the right breeds to raise?

Katy- Do look at the BR- I can't say enough about mine without being like a stage mom. I got 6 eggs from my 6 again today, and they sat all over me while I read this afternoon. Pure joy!

I do not live in a very cold area, but I like Buff Orpingtons and hear that they are very good winter layers. All of the layers you mentioned are good breeds. Perhaps you want a little of all of them?

Thanks all, we just ordered my chicks today, and feel pretty good.

We ordered 20 cornish rock X's for meat. If all goes well with them, we'll order 20 more in late May.

We also ordered 10 Black Austra's, and 10 Wynadottes, of which 5 are Silver-lace (its a NY thing,
lol.png
) and 5 Golden-lace (to satisfy the desire for something other than black in the flock).

We like the idea of the BO, but we're just starting out, so there is time to grow. We're building the coop 10' x 12' (2 feet wider than originally planned) so the flock can expand, but probably more towards raising meat as that is where we will save some serious coin on food. Even still, we can see the layers grow to 30 hens.

30 Hens?!?! Umm, at 5 eggs a week average, that 150 eggs a week!!! That's okay, we've got plenty of folks already begging for organic eggs at $3 a dozen. That should be a nice offset to feed costs.

Thanks everyone! You all really helped us feel much better in our choices. Look forward to sharing with everyone how this whole thingy turns out.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom