Newbie to goats......need help please

CrzyChknLdy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Utah
Over the last week my husband bought me a neubian nanny with two kids. We have encountered two problems. First the kids only drink from one side which means we have to milk out the other each evening. This is not really a problem for me since I enjoy the goats milk but I worry about the babies getting enough to eat. They are just over a week old. They are happy, active and appear to be healthy. However last night when I went to check them momma seems to have runny feces. When I looked closer it appeared to have some blood in it but I could not be sure. She is not acting differently....still active and caring for her babies. I just don't know what could be causing this and how worried I should be. She eats and drinks well.
Any advice would be appreciated.

1. Just keep milking the side they aren't using. With two babies, eventually they will discover there are two sides.

2. Did you change her feed? Stress of moving and feed changes are likely to make upset digestive systems. Give her only hay for a day or two, then gradually reintroduce grain. Offer her some baking soda. If her poo doesn't go back to pellets within 12-24 hours on a 100% hay diet, then there may be underlying issues.

Has she been wormed? I would worm her. Also if you put teat tape on the side they nurse they will find the other pretty fast.
Have you checked her temp? How old are the babies? If they arent very old its likely discharge and just mixing with the feces. But still I would worm her. I worm all of my new goats when they arrive here even if the previous owner has just wormed them.

Thanks for the advice. Momma seems to be doing better.....I know I panic but I hate to see anything happen to the animals that I can prevent. I went ahead and wormed her anyway.....just to be sure.

our ginger did that last year, we just put her in the milking stanchion and put the buckling on the side that needed attention. we had to hold her foot, she kinda pushed him away, but after a few times doing that it was fine.

oh, and worming also.... sounds like she didn't get wormed after kidding, unless you changed feed.

Last edited:
Where did the goats come from? If they came from a sale barn, I would give 3mL of Liqimyacin right to start out with. Then worm and give both Tetus antitoxin and CD antitoxin. Wait a couple of days and then give a CD and T Toxoid. Of course if they came from a reputable goat person they would have the information on what shots have been given if any and what type of feed she has been on. Oh and give her some Probios to help out her digestive track. Reintroduce the good bacteria.

Chris

If the does are in their second week from giving birth I think its normal for them to have loose stools from the hormone changes that occur naturally.

blood in feces in animals is generally not as serious as it might be in people.

I'd watch them close for a few days- so long as it doesnt worsen its probably fine.

Back
Top Bottom