Newborn chick was rejected by mom and has a huge wound on her face and then attacked by a pup, what do I do and how do I fix her wound? IMAGE INCLUDED

Mar 9, 2022
We discovered her around 1:00 pm, she was on the floor of the coup with a huge mark on her face. She was acting normally and we tried to put her back into the nesting box with mama, but she started pecking at her so we brought her into the garage and then into the house because she was getting too hot even without the heat lamp. Nobody was inside for a while and when I came in to check up on her, my 7 month old puppy had her in his mouth and she was chirping loudly. I brought her back into her box to try and dry her off and she has fallen asleep. She seems okay for the most part other than her wound. I also noticed that she doesn't open the eye on the wound side. I did see her open it once though, so I dont know if I should be worried about it. Her wound on her face seems to have opened. It isn't bleeding but it doesn't look good. Should I try to clean it up, and how?

Attachments

• 20220521_155523.jpg
    20220521_155523.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220521_155540.jpg
    20220521_155540.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 5
Is she just sleeping or unconscious? If she is walking around and acting normal, apply neosporin to the wound. Give her electrolyte water and food. Chickens and chicks are incredibly resilient. Just get something on those wounds.

Keep checking on her and don’t let the wounds dry out. Keep monitoring. I’ve seen a 1/2 in by 1 inch would with muscle exposed heal in a matter of days.

Is she just sleeping or unconscious? If she is walking around and acting normal, apply neosporin to the wound. Give her electrolyte water and food. Chickens and chicks are incredibly resilient. Just get something on those wounds.

Keep checking on her and don’t let the wounds dry out. Keep monitoring. I’ve seen a 1/2 in by 1 inch would with muscle exposed heal in a matter of days.
She is acting completely normal. We are going to try adding hydrogen Peroxide and then add neosporin to it.

You can dilute the hydrogen peroxide with 15 to 20 percent distilled water. And use that as a rinsing agent, it will kill any lingering bacteria on the wound and keep the skin intact.

Just rinse with saline water. Better yet wash with betadine type in saline or purified water the apply plain Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment stay away from the pain killer type. Keep us informed on that eye. Keep her hydrated and fed .

Back
Top Bottom