Newcomer vs newcomer

Keiki

Chirping
May 19, 2022
Hello everyone, I have introduced 2 new specked Sussex to my flock. On top of the pecking order is my australorp then my two black sexlinks. They have been welcoming to my newcomers. But one of my new speckled Sussex will bully its sister non stop draw blood even got the tip of her beak. The strangest thing is the bullied one wants to be with the one that bullies her!! At night she snuggles against her. My big girls will go out and free range while the other two will stay behind and then the meanness really starts. Should I keep them al together in the run to get this to stop ? The new ones have the option to free range also they just don’t do it yet. I have enough hiding places but she doenst go in them al she wants to do is be with her bully. My others are not a fan of the bully but dont go after her in a mean way more a way of get out of here. They leave the other one alone I think because she is more submissive. I have had chickens since I was young but never had this happen so any tips are welcome thanks !!

Can you post pictures of the coop/run? How old are the newcomers? Are they laying?

At night is the victim actually roosted side by side with the bully or does she have her head shoved under the bully?

I would lock up the bully in a wire crate in the middle of the run for several days while leaving the rest of the birds to mingle together in the run. If your run is not predator/weather proof, you'll have to move the crate to the coop for night security.
I think the victim is staying with her because of their similar appearance, she's all she knows and she is not comfortable with the others yet.

Maybe given some time not getting pummeled will boost her confidence.

Can you post pictures of the coop/run? How old are the newcomers? Are they laying?

At night is the victim actually roosted side by side with the bully or does she have her head shoved under the bully?

I would lock up the bully in a wire crate in the middle of the run for several days while leaving the rest of the birds to mingle together in the run. If your run is not predator/weather proof, you'll have to move the crate to the coop for night security.
I think the victim is staying with her because of their similar appearance, she's all she knows and she is not comfortable with the others yet.

Maybe given some time not getting pummeled will boost her confidence.
They are 17 weeks old and not laying yet. Yes she puts her whole body against her. They are choosing not to roost but go in the the crate they came in. There is definitely enough space to roost I usually have around 8 chickens but we had an animal attack in the fall and lost 5 .. I can’t take a picture at this moment but it’s a big run with a small tree in it enough for 15 chickens easily. And it’s weather proof. Dust bath spot and perch spot.

Back
Top Bottom