Newest concern - egg color and texture change

Cause for concern??

That is weird. The way the colors work is that the egg should be blue throughout the shell with brown added on top of the blue during the last half hour or so in the shell gland. If you crack those eggs and remove the membrane from the inside they should look the same if they were laid by the same hen.

If the egg were laid early, before all the brown has been applied, you can see a dramatic difference in shell color. That does happen, maybe something disturbs her. We are all entitled to an occasional oops. But for that to happen two days in a row at exactly the same time in the process of putting the brown on the egg is pretty strange.

The brown color is manufactured by the hen from dead red blood cells. Red blood cells are wearing out, dying, and being replaced all the time so the raw material for that brown color is always available. So that is not the problem.

Some diseases can affect that but if all your other eggs are normal and that hen is acting normal then that is not very likely. Something to watch for but I would not be concerned yet.

When a pullet first starts laying it sometimes takes a while for her to get all the kinks out of her internal egg making factory. That could include the shell gland and putting that brown coating on the egg. Usually those kinks are straightened out in the first week or two, not two months later. If she remains consistent with that egg shell color that's the only thing I can think of. If she reverts to her old color then it is really strange.

I would not be concerned, those eggs are fine to eat. I'd consider it just a change in cosmetics. It is very interesting though. Thanks for posting.

Do you have any other blue/green layers?

yes one lays light blue and another lays Olive without speckles. Everyone laid yesterday so I know it’s hers.

here it is along with my other eggs from yesterday: (my other brown layer laid later in the day)
62A38C0C-4C9C-42FA-91F4-7B4B0A29D4CA.jpeg

Here’s a normal day:
F3FB923A-73A6-462C-B072-4CB7B2A8DF55.jpeg

Anywho, she laid already this morning and it looks normal LOL

yesterday’s (bottom) compared to “normal” (top) 🤷‍♀️ I guess her ink cartridge needed charged?!:lau
2B50B489-2506-493F-8C1C-F245180AD23C.jpeg

I only have 6 hens (5 that are laying) and a nest box cam so I know they are hers, it’s very bizarre and drastic change 🧐
I would rather assume that number 6 started laying also.

Watching them while in the nest can be misleading, as they sometimes go in and out, change the nest or sit on the egg(s) another hen has laid earlier and starting the eggsong without having laid their own egg.

I would rather assume that number 6 started laying also.

Watching them while in the nest can be misleading, as they sometimes go in and out, change the nest or sit on the egg(s) another hen has laid earlier and starting the eggsong without having laid their own egg.

I don’t know, I have a pretty good view now after trial and error in camera placement. I’m pretty positive it was her as she is the first to lay every day and my 6th didn’t make an appearance in the box the last two days but we will see 🤔

Back
Top Bottom