NHR with swollen vent and what looks like pus..

WillsMama93

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Shreveport, La
Our NHR pullet is 19 weeks old. She laid her first egg on Friday, and it was smeared with blood. I read up on that.. and see that it happens sometimes. Her vent was a little swollen, and a bit bloody, so I gave her a little bath in some warm water, and she seemed relieved, so on we went.
I had to go out of town this weekend, and when I get back today, she is thinner, and her vent is very swollen, and crusty, like pasty butt. (My son and my father watched after the birds this weekend, but apparently had no idea what to look at, and since she seemed to be her usual self, they did not inspect closely) So I washed her in warm water, and gently cleaned off her vent. She passed a firm stool, and then what looked like pus. She has since passed a softer stool, but no blood. She has not laid another egg, but I felt the area between her legs, and I don't feel an egg stuck in the vent.
She's not eating much, and has slept some on my lap. Her vent does not look prolapsed, just irritated. and there is the pus-like drainage...

HELP!

Hi, is there anyway you can take a pic ?
Seperate her with some food & water if you can.
She could be eggbound,try soaking her in a warm bath for 10 mintues or so. If you have or minerial oil or something similiar to lube her vent.She could have some eggs backed up in there.
Does she appear to be straining at all?
Try to get her to eat some black oil sunflower seeds, that'll help keep her egg tract lubed.
I do hope she gets better soon.

If she just started laying eggs she won't necessarily lay an egg a day. She may skip a day or two.

As far as the drainage - is there an odor like there is an infection or just a drainage? I had a hen that had a broken egg in her and she oozed yolk and drained egg white for two days. I had to do the warm soaks with her while going in vent to clean out the broken shell.

It sounds like you are doing all you can by soaking her in warm water and keeping her vent clean. Keep her somewhere so you can see if/when she lays another egg.

I will try to get a pic.. I fed her some scrambled egg with olive oil.. she is sleeping now. I do have her seperated in her own little "coop" (Rubbermaid with pine shavings and orchard grass) She actually looks better than she did when I got home.

No odor, other than the lovely smell of chicken poop.. I will keep her clean, and watch her til morning and see how she does.

Belina says Thanks you guys!!

That's great to hear that's she's eating.
yippiechickie.gif
Tell Belina to get better soon.
smile.png

Well, she's eating this morning.. and active, but her vent is still gooky... should I start her on antibiotics? If so, where do I get them? I tried to get a pic this morning, but my camera is goofed up, and my cell phone camera just would not get a clear shot.

Poor Belina!

I might would wait on starting any antibiotics, if she's eating & getting around.But that's what would do.
Don't worry about getting a pic, it's alright.
What's her poop look like? Is there any blood in her poop?
If you could get a vet to do a fecal, that might rule out a few things like cocci or worms. It doesn't have to be an avian vet either.
Has she laid another egg today?

~ P.S. your in box is full, I tired to PM you. ~

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom