Nipple water feeder

Brooksy21

Songster
Apr 17, 2021
Stevensville, Montana
I have a 3.5 gallon nipple water feeder that my chickens are using. Before I got it I was changing the water twice to 5 times a day, because they would poop in it, get bedding in it and then tip it over 😣. Just gross. Now nothing gets in it. 😁 But I’m not sure how often I should be changing the water now? I would assume considerably less but I don’t want to assume wrong.
255831D8-CF23-406C-8372-0F64D6580DD5.jpeg

I refill every 1-2 weeks, just make sure to check every couple of days and you will be fine.

ETA: I only have 5 hens, so if you have more, it may be more often
I only have 6 😁 and that was what I was thinking too. Maybe once a week, just so it’s fresh. My chickens don’t go through much water as of yet, they’re still pretty young at 10 weeks.

I found that peeps like 4 weeks old I prefer Horizontal nipples they leak less
I have those as well. I tried them first, but the chicks seemed to have a really hard time getting the water to come out. 🤷‍♀️ I think I tried them at about 2-4wks a couple different times, maybe they were too young. I’ll make some more buckets and try again. I haven’t noticed the vertical one leaking but still even if it leaks a little it’s much less of a mess than poopy whole containers of water tipping over.

I have those as well. I tried them first, but the chicks seemed to have a really hard time getting the water to come out. 🤷‍♀️ I think I tried them at about 2-4wks a couple different times, maybe they were too young. I’ll make some more buckets and try again. I haven’t noticed the vertical one leaking but still even if it leaks a little it’s much less of a mess than poopy whole containers of water tipping over.
Mine use the horizontal since 1week old, they did need a day to get used to it, but they figured out. I shown it pulling the metal piece to the side, and while reaching for the water deeper next to the metal piece, they moved it and it worked. The first day I offered another waterer, but their curiosity made them try the new instead. :)

Back
Top Bottom