No eggs in over 8 months...

stephanietcox

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2019
We have 6 hens, all just about 1 1/2 years old now.
All of them started laying last January (2020), and 4 of them (1 silkie, 1 BR, 2 EE) continue to give us eggs (been through a molt, and the silkie is constantly broody with a 2 week egg laying/4 week off cycle).

BUT our polish and our salmon faverolle stopped laying around late April/early May, so after just a few months of eggs, and haven't laid an egg since.

They are happy and healthy. No mites, eat and drink well, access to good feed, water and calcium, free range during the day. We have checked the yard time and time again to see if they are perhaps laying in the bushes or what not. Nothing. We even restricted their free range area to a smaller part of the yard, to make it easier to check. Nothing.

Yes, we are certain of the age, as we got them as day old chicks.

Any ideas? Anything?
Thanks!

I don't know about the faverolle but I know decorative breeds like polish and Sultan are finicky layers. My friends Sultan maybe laid a dozen eggs over 4 years.

What time do you get the eggs? If they lay later than the others a rat snack could pic up what's left every night.

Lock them in for a week. Betting free range time is coinciding with laying time in their super secret nests. Sometimes they are better at hiding nests than we are at finding them

Back
Top Bottom