No eggs?

Chicken Mechanic

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2022
Hello all, I'm quite experienced with having chickens but and stumped on this one. I had one hen (who lays one egg a day normally) left after a fox got the rest, so I went to an auction and got a few more hens, it's been about a week and no one is laying any eggs, even the original hen. This seems odd to me because I've done the same thing I'm the past and always got eggs right away

:welcome Generally when birds are relocated to a new flock they will lay for a couple of days (eggs that were 'in process' when they were added) and then take a break. Chickens hate change. If the new birds are not old and past their prime, they will lay - may very well molt first given the time of year.

:welcome Generally when birds are relocated to a new flock they will lay for a couple of days (eggs that were 'in process' when they were added) and then take a break. Chickens hate change. If the new birds are not old and past their prime, they will lay - may very well molt first given the time of year.
Thank you, very good information

About how long of a break do they usually take? I got all excited for the first 3 days and now am a bit bummed. I do pamper them. As much as I can anyway.

Same with me!

I’ve had many flocks over many years- I moved my girls to my new place over a month ago, got a few eggs and now NOTHING!
My sweetie says I sold him a bill of goods and they are not winning him over to backyard chickens!

I thought it was because new coop is dark, a friends birds from same clutch are still laying.

What to do?!

Same with me!

I’ve had many flocks over many years- I moved my girls to my new place over a month ago, got a few eggs and now NOTHING!
My sweetie says I sold him a bill of goods and they are not winning him over to backyard chickens!

I thought it was because new coop is dark, a friends birds from same clutch are still laying.

What to do?!
Wait patiently while they acclimate. Given the time of year, they may even molt before starting another laying cycle.

Wait patiently while they acclimate. Given the time of year, they may even molt before starting another laying cycle.
Thanks. They actually already molted before the move…
Was wondering if new coop is too dark and if a light bulb might help

Back
Top Bottom