No Eggs

Sleepychick

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
We have 3 barred rocks and 2 ri reds who are all 1 year old. We had a really cold spell about two months ago and have not seen an egg since. When I stopped at the grain store to pick up more feed I asked what I could do about the egg production. He said they could be done producing. We averaged 2-3 eggs a day before they stopped. Could it be possible that they are done?

I doubt it at only a year old. One of them maybe, but with five chooks something else is going on. What are you feeding them and how are the housed? Is there any chance that they could have a hidden nest somewhere?

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Any chance of pests (mice/rats/ect..)? They can devour eggs and not leave a sign. I had a young hen who would eat eggs and not leave any evidence too.

I'd try going out at different times of the day to see if you find any eggie.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. We feed them egg layer pellets and they have a fenced in coop. We have looked all over for eggs but haven't found any.

I don't know, but when in doubt I'd up the protien. Like FWC said you can toss them some cat kibble or switch them to flockraiser or gamebird feed and put some oyster shell out free choice for calcium.

I'd also give them a really good going over tonight when they're on the roost and check for mites/ lice. Parasites can be sneaky and will steal enough nutrients from a bird to keep it from laying sometimes.

Any chance someone else is helping themselves to your eggs. I hate to say it, but there have been a couple of threads on here lately where neighbors have been stealing eggs. In one case the guy wasn't even doing it to help feed his family, he was selling them at work.
ep.gif

I think they are too young to stop laying, there may be something else wrong. Maybe they are laying in a hiding place, or maybe there is a bird of prey or some predator somewhere nearby scaring them, that may stop them from laying..
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom