No shell eggs being layed

CrazyChickLady64

Songster
Nov 5, 2023
Sulphur Springs Texas
Hello everyone I have a sex link laying shell less eggs. She is 7 months old and every 2 to 3 weeks I will get an egg without a shell or a very soft shell. This week she laid 2 . She has a diet of organic egg layer crumble "natures best" feed. I give oyster shells. Water is changed every day. In the afternoon my girls free range and get mealworms and a scratch mix as a treat then just before bedtime they get an extra treat like corn, watermelon or something else. Can you tell me what could be causing this and is there something more I can do to help her lay strong shelled eggs. I have 10 other hens that all lay beautiful eggs. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20231126_124657057.jpg
    IMG_20231126_124657057.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I would start giving her a human 600mg calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet daily for the next week, to see if that makes a difference. Hens may lay a shell-less or thin shelled egg if they are low in calcium, if there is a shell gland (oviduct) issue, salpingitis, or a lot of stress in the coop. The danger of these is that an egg can break inside setting up infection. Walmart Equate brand is fairly inexpensive, but any brand is fine.

She has a diet of organic egg layer crumble "natures best" feed. I give oyster shells. Water is changed every day. In the afternoon my girls free range and get mealworms and a scratch mix as a treat then just before bedtime they get an extra treat like corn, watermelon or something else.
I agree, I'd give her extra Calcium and see if that helps.

Ditto x 3 it's not as hard as it seems to give them a pill.
I would also suggest you put calcium on ground, my flock eats it's it like crazy off the ground and won't hardly touch it in a pan?!!
I had a sex link that became a soft egg layer later in life but only her?

Hello everyone I have a sex link laying shell less eggs. She is 7 months old and every 2 to 3 weeks I will get an egg without a shell or a very soft shell. This week she laid 2 . She has a diet of organic egg layer crumble "natures best" feed. I give oyster shells. Water is changed every day. In the afternoon my girls free range and get mealworms and a scratch mix as a treat then just before bedtime they get an extra treat like corn, watermelon or something else. Can you tell me what could be causing this and is there something more I can do to help her lay strong shelled eggs. I have 10 other hens that all lay beautiful eggs. Thank you.

Thanks for the advice I will give her calcium with D3 and give you all an update.

So did the extra calcium help? I just found my first egg with no shell this morning and would loved to know if this worked!

So did the extra calcium help? I just found my first egg with no shell this morning and would loved to know if this worked!
That can be common in a brand new layer. Are you using layer feed and putting out some crushed oyster shell inna separate container for free taking? Can you identify the pullet that laid it? If so, then you can get calcium citrate with vitamin D at Walmart and give around 600 mg once a day orally for a week or so.

That can be common in a brand new layer. Are you using layer feed and putting out some crushed oyster shell inna separate container for free taking? Can you identify the pullet that laid it? If so, then you can get calcium citrate with vitamin D at Walmart and give around 600 mg once a day orally for a week or so.
She is a new layer! She's a frizzle and I've heard they can be odd when it comes to laying. I do keep the oyster shells in a separate container but I'm not sure if she eats it. She just laid a normal egg this morning so I think it was just probably just a one time thing.

Thanks for the response!

Back
Top Bottom