Noisy chooks

mags6999

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
Hiya

we've had four chooks for around 8 weeks. One is an absolute delight, one (my very first thread re a broody chook) is now reticent but the other two? Freya is the one that seems to excessively demand attention vocally throughout the day and it has caused Connie to copy herl I am conscious that this will disturb neighbours, because I am extremely conscious of her "crowing"

We have daily let them out and given them treats... this may have been wrong. Any suggestions on how to get the two errant chooks just back to the gentle clucking?

hello, I the noisy chicken at the top of the pecking order? if it is, it will be trying to show its dominance by trying to crow like a cockerel. sorry, hope this helps.

I am often surprised at how LOUD hens can be. One of mine sounds like a distressed goat-and she wails loudly several times during the day-especially at the crack of dawn when she's announcing to me and the entire world that she wants out NOW
barnie.gif

So glad I'm in the country-city folks would think I was beating a goat in my backyard.
She's in the middle of the pecking order, so it's not a "head hen" sorta thing. It's just "her way". She does not sound at all like a chicken, seriously. I have another one (her name is Groucho) who likes to complain off and on during the day, like a croaking chicken. Again, just her way-but at least she SOUNDS like a chicken . She's not anywhere near as loud as my "chicken-goat" though!
Like dallinjm1226 advised, it's just chickens being chickens.

Hi all

Thanks for your advice. The chooks have laid egg from the first day we got them. We;ve not seen freya trying to get the lead in the pecking order... all the chooks get along fine. I also recognise them laying eggs.. poor souls lol. The noise freya makes is like when they were all new to new noises.... alerting... if that makes sense.... but it seems to me that she's being demanding ... as if she wants to come out... I think we've created a spoilt chook. Hubby sat there today without letting them out. Freya was quiet, but such a shame the others have to suffer. Do chooks need company? i would have thought not, only they like out in the garden. heeeellp.

thanks for that.... what type of things? She's in a coop with three other chooks. Omlet guarantee that it's the right size coop for four chooks. One thing I have noticed is that all four chooks like going under their food container. In fact only today I noticed that they were going one after the other... it was quite amusing.

Hi all. I thought I'd let you know that we have bought an extended run 3mx4m! I've just posted another thread about how to paint the aluminium poles, but having researched it I think low VOC paint is the way to go... but I've been emailing suppliers asking questions.

Once again thanks for all your advice.

Also I wanted to thank dallinjm1226. for his excellent advice, but I can't see his response in this thread. If you see it thank you.... I agree with what you said... they are bored and need things. We propose putting a log and other climbing articles in the extended coop.

Back
Top Bottom