Non emergency but still need some answers for injured pullet

LTAY1946

Chicken Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
Sep 8, 2022
South Alabama
I have a young pullet that was seriously injured when a gang of roosters pinned her down and really messed her up. She having problems holding her head up and eating. I've given her B-complex with C and some pellets I collected out of a bag of starter grower. She's had a dab of scrambled eggs. Is there any thing else that I should me doing besides Nutridrench? I have that and it is next on my list of something to do for her. She doesn't seem to have physically broken neck to feel it from head on down to her body. She is just having a muscular like problem with it.

Please post some pictures. Is she separated from the rest, maybe in a dog crate? Somewhere quiet and warm, so she can rest.
She's in a box inside the house. She is being kept comfortable and safe. I'll see if I can get a picture of her inside the box showing how she is holding her head up.

Here she is. She is so much better one minute and the next she can't pick her head up. She seems to tire very quickly. She was so bad last night I thought I would be digging a hole to bury her in this morning. She has fooled me.
Injury.jpg

Most all the time she keeps her head leaning flat to the left. then she will get it up for a few seconds to an almost normal position. I need to know if B complex is what I should be giving and how much daily. I think she is going to make it if I do my part.

B complex 1/4-1/2 tablet is helpful, but I would add human vitamin E 400 IU daily to treat her neurological symptoms with her neck. It can be used for a couple of weeks.

B complex 1/4-1/2 tablet is helpful, but I would add human vitamin E 400 IU daily to treat her neurological symptoms with her neck. It can be used for a couple of weeks.
Thank you. I'll have to go into town and get the E400 IU and keep it on hand.

She is still getting half a B Complex and a Vitamin E. She acts normal in a kennel now. You wouldn't know anything is wrong to see her in the kennel. When we pick her up her neck goes limp like she can't support it or maybe she is just playing possum. As soon as she is back in the kennel after she has her meds given she is normal again. She can almost turn her neck in a 360. Tomorrow we will get photos of her as she goes with her routine during being medicated. I'll get a photo of her being normal before we extract her from her kennel. She doesn't come out without squawk about it. When she loses she puts on a dying act.

She is still getting half a B Complex and a Vitamin E. She acts normal in a kennel now. You wouldn't know anything is wrong to see her in the kennel. When we pick her up her neck goes limp like she can't support it or maybe she is just playing possum. As soon as she is back in the kennel after she has her meds given she is normal again. She can almost turn her neck in a 360. Tomorrow we will get photos of her as she goes with her routine during being medicated. I'll get a photo of her being normal before we extract her from her kennel. She doesn't come out without squawk about it. When she loses she puts on a dying act.
So sorry, this is the first I saw this. I know it can take several weeks or longer to cure wry neck or neurological-type things. The only thing I could suggest is I'd add scrambled egg to give her some Selenium which helps metabolize the Vit E. It might help a tish more.

Back
Top Bottom