Non GMO vs Organic feeds

McKinneyMike

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 20, 2013
McKinney, TX
I am just starting out with chickens and we want to provide good food for our small flock. The Organic feeds tend to be pretty pricey vs. the Non GMO feeds(but not certified Organic). As we are in north Texas, local feeds are the better value for us. Texas Natural Feed has a Non-GMO layer crumble that is $27.00/50 lbs bag. Hugelland Organic layer crumble is $27.00/25 lbs bag. We want to treat our birds well, but twice the cost for feed is a big deal also. We are planning on 8 hens( 2 each Australorps, Orpingtons, Ameraucana and Welsummers). We will allow them to free range early afternoon til dark most everyday.
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

This is only my opinion.
Non GMO feed should be sufficient. Organic feed is something that certain peeps feel is a must for their chickens. They also are not concerned about price. Way way back in time and a distant land my mother raised chickens for eggs and food. There was no feed available then. She fed them boiled potatoes chopped up and some grain every now and then. They free ranged all day long and ate whatever grass or insects they were able to get at. We did alright. Today I keep chickens as pets only. I do get chickens ready to cook from the grocery store. They are on regular feed and I do not experience any bad effects from consuming them.
Free ranging is excellent. Keep in mind predators.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

For me local and GMO free was priority.

I had a home made mix I used for my birds that was soy and corn free (so GMO free). Because I was getting grains directly from the co-op it cost me just a bit more than the regular feed. However it did take a bit of storage space and time to mix it. If interested I can dig it up.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the input. I think that I will go with the Non-GMO for right now due to the cost. I may rethink my stance once we get started, but I think that is a good place to start and not break the bank to support them for now.

Just FYI, the no GMO will still have Glyphosate, and phosphates, and nitrates, and all the lovely chemicals in it. There is almost no difference between non GMO and GMO, as far as farming practices go. In fact, non GMO non organic will most likely have MORE chemicals due to the lack of the organisms most crops are modified with to defend against the overuse of pesticides and herbicides.

Best bet is always certified organic, IMO.

You're paying for feed that is chemical free when you pay the premium on organic. You're paying for the extra time, effort, and research that goes into producing organic crops and meat livestock.

Non GMO might net better nutrient quality than GMO, but minor differences compared to organic, in which all the nutrients can be retained without added toxins ;)

I also mix my own feed, 100% organic from our own crops and neighbors, and my feed costs about $.27/ lb ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom