None of my chickens are laying in their boxes??

alexis187

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
For a while now, one of my hens has been laying sometimes in the box, sometimes on the ground of the run. The others were either laying in the boxes or elsewhere in the coop. Now, suddenly, all my hens (four) are laying in the run. I clean and refresh their coop regularly and I have enough boxes (three). I even have put training eggs in the boxes, and that helped for a bit but not anymore. Any idea why this could be? And more importantly, any ideas on how to fix this behavior?? Thanks!

My hens like to lay on the ground rather than in the two homemade, nice nesting boxes we built. :rolleyes: I use fake eggs but sometimes they don’t do the trick. One thing you can do is when they lay eggs, move them to where you want them to be laying. Sometimes the mama will recognize that those are her eggs and learn that she should be laying there.

For a while now, one of my hens has been laying sometimes in the box, sometimes on the ground of the run. The others were either laying in the boxes or elsewhere in the coop. Now, suddenly, all my hens (four) are laying in the run. I clean and refresh their coop regularly and I have enough boxes (three). I even have put training eggs in the boxes, and that helped for a bit but not anymore. Any idea why this could be? And more importantly, any ideas on how to fix this behavior?? Thanks!
Where in the run are they laying, do they have a 'nest' they are using or just willy-nilly dropping them on the ground.
Some pics of your coop, inside and out, and the place they are laying in the run would help here.

How old are they, in weeks or months, and how long have they been laying?

...and......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1626696360812.png

How often do you clean out and renew the bedding in the nest boxes?

They might avoind the bixes because of possible ventilation issues (too hot) or parasite infestation (red poultry mites etc.).

Back
Top Bottom