Not particularly invigorated ex-bats...

Chickenman MAN

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
United Kingdom South Devon
Soooo...I've had 4 ex-bats for 4 ish months now. They appear really happy and are becoming more and more floofy. BUT my neighbours also have 7 ex-bats, of a different breed, but theirs behave really differently. Example: One of their chickens flew over a 1.7 metre electric fence, I noticed and went to get her back in the coop as it was dark and I know there are foxes about (yes I was techincally trespassing but the neighbour saw me and didn't mind, he was quite happy that his hen wasn't fox food lol) anyway, I walk up behind her slowly and lunge with my arms outstretched! She flies up and away and runs off. The neighbour came up and we got her in the coop eventually. My chickens on the other hand: of course they know me better, two are really calm with me and the other two are pretty calm but run away a bit. The most skittish on is Houdini, she runs if I try to pick her up, even when we first got them none of the chickens attempted to fly to get away, we also made them a perch, didn't use that. I know they are capable as Houdini routinely jumps up 1.5 ft to get on the ramp to the perch, and I've seen Dottie fly over logs to get to my hand offering treats. What's even more interesting is Dottie once jumped up 2ft onto the TV unit when I brought her inside once, but she doesn't jump onto the 2ft food thing or the 1.5ft water container... v confusing. Are my chickens 'abnormal'? Do they just not like flying and perching? Even more interesting is the fact that Dottie went broodyish for about a day, and even MORE interesting is recently Houdini moved two eggs out of the four into another nesting box, sat on the two she didn't move for half an hour then left! She looked very cute but she also confused me!

Hi

I think you mentioned on another thread you got your chooks from BHWT so I guess they are Rhode Island Red variants - that's certainly what we received from BHWT. We got our 10 girls 3 months ago and they are all pretty tame so don't have too much trouble picking them up, etc. We had been letting them out for a short time each day so that they could do some freeranging and we occassionally get a 'runner' when trying to put them back in the run but they soon give up.

Some of them still have a lot of feathers to grow back so minimal flying for them and they rarerly use the outdoor roosts I put up.

Maybe your neighbours birds were ex free range rather than ex batt?

Taken 3 weeks ago ...

1608459811262.png

Hi

I think you mentioned on another thread you got your chooks from BHWT so I guess they are Rhode Island Red variants - that's certainly what we received from BHWT. We got our 10 girls 3 months ago and they are all pretty tame so don't have too much trouble picking them up, etc. We had been letting them out for a short time each day so that they could do some freeranging and we occassionally get a 'runner' when trying to put them back in the run but they soon give up.

Some of them still have a lot of feathers to grow back so minimal flying for them and they rarerly use the outdoor roosts I put up.

Taken 3 weeks ago ...

View attachment 2456873
No, my neighbours were definatley ex-bats! They are red sexlinks (basically rhode-island varians) like mine, but with different looking feathers. They did pick theirs up from BHWT about 2 months before ours. I also let mine out sometimes to freerange at the top... as far as I know all BHWT hens are battery-farmed, and when theirs came they looked as sorry as mine!

Hi

Taken 3 weeks ago ...

View attachment 2456873
What are your hens like?

I guess it's just timing then. Mine still don't roost at night (at least 6 of them are sleeping in the egg boxes) and it took them around 6 weeks to go in the coop at night but as time goes on they are showing more chickeny behaviour.

I'm fairly sure that BHWT does rehome more than just ex Batt's, though that's the majority of them. They posted on fb recently saying they have some ex free rangers to rehome

1608461671046.png

I guess it's just timing then. Mine still don't roost at night (at least 6 of them are sleeping in the egg boxes) and it took them around 6 weeks to go in the coop at night but as time goes on they are showing more chickeny behaviour.

I'm fairly sure that BHWT does rehome more than just ex Batt's, though that's the majority of them. They posted on fb recently saying they have some ex free rangers to rehome

View attachment 2456875
Ahhh...maybe they were free range then...that may well explain it! Do let me know if you need any ex-bat help....I've got to say mine were faster to get in the coop at night, though they don't all roost all the time, but I don't mind. Thanks for this info, I had no idea!

Back
Top Bottom