not silver spangled hamburgs? + one more unknown

kari_dawn

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
North Texas
I posted these pictures the day these little guys arrived, and the guesses made were silver spangled hamburgs. They have possible rose combs, grayish feet, and little white racing stripes. However, as they have begun to feather, they have quite a bit of black...a different color variety of hamburg? Updated pictures below.

These are pictures I JUST took.

The other chick in question came with cream colored feathers, a single comb, and pink feet.

The chick now looks like this:

She does not appear to have feathered feet, or an odd number of toes, and if she has a beard, it is very small, especially compared to my easter egger babies.

Possible breeds according to the hatchery include any of the following:

• Buckeye
  • Ancona
  • Easter Egger
  • Ameraucana (Wheaten, Blue, Black, Splash)
  • Black Sumatra
  • Andalusian (Blue, Black, or Splash)
  • Appenzeller Spitzhauben
  • Sicilian Buttercup
  • Salmon Faverolles
  • Golden Campine
  • Buff Chantecler
  • Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
  • Barnevelder
  • Brahma (Buff Brahma, Light Brahma)
  • Marans (Silver Cuckoo, Golden Cuckoo, Black Copper, Blue Copper, Blue Splash, White)
  • Dominique
  • Columbian Wyandotte
  • Dark Cornish
  • Cochin
  • Welsummer
  • White Sultan
  • Polish (Assorted colors)
  • Exchequer Leghorn
  • Speckled Sussex
  • Hamburg (Assorted colors)
  • Lakenvelder (Silver, Golden)
  • Partridge Penedesenca
  • Jersey Giant
  • Blue Orpington
  • Silver Grey Dorking
  • Egyptian Fayoumi
  • Black Langshans
Ideas? Guesses?

I'm still guessing that the black and white chicks are Hamburgs. Chicks change their feather color often as they go through molts leading up to their adult plumage. Its very likely that their adult plumage will be the correct color for a Silver Spangled Hamburg.

I'm really not sure on your other chick though.

The black/white chick still looks like a Silver Spangled Hamburg to me. It doesn't fit any other Hamburg variety, or any of the other breeds listed.

However, I'm not sure about your other mystery chick. It doesn't seem to fit any of the other breeds, either.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
the patches on the wings are more of a rusty/salmon color, but definitely not a salmon fav. It doesn't seem like a blue at all...

Back
Top Bottom