Not sure if my hen has canker or new castle

Cricket32

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2023
Took my hen to the vet the other day and they said she had a sinus infection, but the skin around her beak looks like warts and the skin is falling off. Her feet look horrible also, it’s like they are rotting off too. She’s on antibiotics also. Need help!

Attachments

• IMG_1632.jpeg
    IMG_1632.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1631.jpeg
    IMG_1631.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1630.jpeg
    IMG_1630.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 3
Welcome To BYC

You mention a vet visit - did the Vet say "Newcastle" or give the respiratory infection a "name"?
Did they prescribe an antibiotic, what is it?

What's the inside of her beak look like?
What do you feed?
Does she have a bad odor about her head, face or inside the beak?

Where does she live - outside? Can you post photos of your coop/run?

Where are you located in the world?

What treatment(s) if any, have you administered so far?

Any lice or mites?

I'd follow the vet's instructions on giving her care. Work on hydration and eating.
For the feet, clean them with Chlorhexidine. Place her on clean dry bedding and keep the feet dry as possible.

Welcome To BYC

You mention a vet visit - did the Vet say "Newcastle" or give the respiratory infection a "name"?
Did they prescribe an antibiotic, what is it?

What's the inside of her beak look like?
What do you feed?
Does she have a bad odor about her head, face or inside the beak?

Where does she live - outside? Can you post photos of your coop/run?

Where are you located in the world?

What treatment(s) if any, have you administered so far?

Any lice or mites?

I'd follow the vet's instructions on giving her care. Work on hydration and eating.
For the feet, clean them with Chlorhexidine. Place her on clean dry bedding and keep the feet dry as possible.
Inside of beak looks good, she didn’t mention new castle but she said sinus but I’ve not heard her gasping or any mucus build up. It’s like the skin is peeling off her face. Her poop looks normal also. They prescribed amoxicillin also. I’ve not seen any mites but I use pour on as a preventative. Tennessee is the location. So far I’ve tried to treat for bumblefoot to see if it would go away looks like progress. Been using antibiotic ointment for the face. I’ve not smelled any odor from her.

Inside of beak looks good, she didn’t mention new castle but she said sinus but I’ve not heard her gasping or any mucus build up. It’s like the skin is peeling off her face. Her poop looks normal also. They prescribed amoxicillin also. I’ve not seen any mites but I use pour on as a preventative. Tennessee is the location. So far I’ve tried to treat for bumblefoot to see if it would go away looks like progress. Been using antibiotic ointment for the face. I’ve not smelled any odor from her.
Sometimes the skin can become dry. Applying the ointment is a good idea.

Hopefully the Amoxicillin will help with her symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom