Not sure if she's sick or broody.

Belsnickle

Chirping
Aug 2, 2021
I have an approximately 1 year old Chocolate Orpington that just wants to stay in the nesting box. She has been "sneezy" but it is an increase in this behavior because she has always been, I think it is because she is missing part of her top beak. If I put her on the ground she'll first get a drink, then peck around and then go back in the box after awhile. I've had mycoplasma in my flock, but other than sneezes she isn't showing any other symptoms. Could she just be broody? She'll sit even without an egg under her, but if there is already an egg (or the wooden egg) she'll sit on that. When she's out she seems energetic. She managed to fly over the fence the other day when I locked her out of the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_5389.jpg
    IMG_5389.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 28
I just took a closer look and yes, her breast is rather bare. I've noticed she hasn't been as "sneezy" the last day or so. When I put her on the ground she literally attacks the scratch and drinks a lot. She also gets pretty pissy when I take her out of the box and put her out. I only have one other bird and she seems happy when I put her out, so aggression against her isn't an issue.
Should I lock her out of the coop to break the habit?

How did it turn out for her? Was it broodiness?
I’m looking around, trying to figure out what’s going on with my hen.
Just today, I noticed she has been in the laying box for about 6 hours. Not out with the other hens for forage time. She’s always been a long layer. 2-3 hours usually, but today is way longer than usual. Was wondering if it was broodiness or being egg-bound. And when to take action. She’s just over 6 months old, so I wouldn’t think it would be either. But you never know. 🤷🏼‍♀️

How did it turn out for her? Was it broodiness?
I’m looking around, trying to figure out what’s going on with my hen.
Just today, I noticed she has been in the laying box for about 6 hours. Not out with the other hens for forage time. She’s always been a long layer. 2-3 hours usually, but today is way longer than usual. Was wondering if it was broodiness or being egg-bound. And when to take action. She’s just over 6 months old, so I wouldn’t think it would be either. But you never know. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Take her out and see how she's walking. See if she will eat and drink.

Take her out and see how she's walking. See if she will eat and drink.
Just figured it out!! Just a young broody hen. She’s just over 6 months old.
Put her on the ground & she squatted down like she was still on eggs.
Plus she had two eggs under her. We have 8 hens. With those two eggs, all 8 hens laid an egg today. So I know she is not having an issue laying. She’s broody.
I did not expect this so early.

Just figured it out!! Just a young broody hen. She’s just over 6 months old.
Put her on the ground & she squatted down like she was still on eggs.
Plus she had two eggs under her. We have 8 hens. With those two eggs, all 8 hens laid an egg today. So I know she is not having an issue laying. She’s broody.
I did not expect this so early.
She walked around after she squatted for a bit & started pecking around. Not long after that, she was back up in the laying box. Def broody. 👍🏻
I’m so thankful. I was worried she might be egg bound.

She walked around after she squatted for a bit & started pecking around. Not long after that, she was back up in the laying box. Def broody. 👍🏻
I’m so thankful. I was worried she might be egg bound.
She may not be broody. Broody birds don't lay eggs.

Keep a close eye on her and MAKE sure she's eating and drinking on her own.

She may not be broody. Broody birds don't lay eggs.

Keep a close eye on her and MAKE sure she's eating and drinking on her own.
I figured she might be gathering her clutch.
Either way, I took the fake eggs (golf balls) out of the laying boxes, and 20 mins later she was in the run hanging with the other hens. And she went out foraging too. 👍🏻
This morning she was in the run pecking around, acting very normal… rather than up in the laying box. So she might now be past whatever that was.
Thank you for your input! 🙏🏻

Back
Top Bottom