Not walking red spot foot

Bcoz18

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Saint Charles Missouri
I have ducklings 1 week old today. I have 4 of them. (I have no clue what breed they are as they were assortments they were all together) 3 ducks seem to be doing great and well) and the other not so well..
He’s super super tiny, he has been eating and drinking. May not be enough but everytime I peek in it’s drinking and eating. But here’s a huge problem. It’s not really walking.. it’s left leg doesn’t really work.. when I pick him up ( we will just call it a him for now ) he will move the tips of his feet a tad bit but it really drags behind him. He does have a little sore on his foot that he doesn’t tend to us. His right foot that he has been using he’s putting in the middle of his body to keep him balanced.. here’s a couple of pictures

I thought about getting something and try to heal that little sore and maybe that will help. But I don’t know how I would keep the cream on the foot and the duck boots I think will be way way to big!
My sister said maybe it’s time to set it free but I’m not able to physically do that as I think he will be able to live with a little care and love!

Attachments

• 900B726C-025A-444B-B5ED-67FA5D13A82E.jpeg
    900B726C-025A-444B-B5ED-67FA5D13A82E.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 16
Please don't, "set him free." He will surely die in a miserable way. It is also abandonment and likely unlawful, depending on where you live.

What are you feeding them? Can you tell us more about your set up?
I most definitely will not set him free.. I personally could not do that. When I get a animal of any kind I take care of it until it dies from old age or something that I can’t control. I think he can live with a bad leg so I want to do all I can for him.
So I feed him duckling and gosling crumble.. I’ve seen other things on this site they say they add but when I talked to someone local who breeds ducks she said other additives aren’t needed if we use duckling food..
they are in a 10 gallon plastic container inside with a heat lamp. We have pine shavings on the bottom and change it 2 times a day so the ducks love the water in there..

I most definitely will not set him free.. I personally could not do that. When I get a animal of any kind I take care of it until it dies from old age or something that I can’t control. I think he can live with a bad leg so I want to do all I can for him.
So I feed him duckling and gosling crumble.. I’ve seen other things on this site they say they add but when I talked to someone local who breeds ducks she said other additives aren’t needed if we use duckling food..
they are in a 10 gallon plastic container inside with a heat lamp. We have pine shavings on the bottom and change it 2 times a day so the ducks love the water in there..
Has he always been this way?

I don't much about b vitamins and ducklings, but some members here find that supplementing their ducklings with leg issues can be helpful. Hopefully one of them will chime in soon.

I'm very thankful you aren't going to abandon him. 💖

Could you post a video of the duckling walking?
Where did you acquire the ducklings?
Has the duckling had problems since you obtained it?
If you pick the duckling up, do you feel any swelling, warmness, or see any discoloration, or angulation on its leg?

If you bend those joints does the duckling react painfully (?) do you notice any clicking, or abnormal sounds when the joints are bent?

With ducklings, especially those who were shipped, there will always be concerns about a rough shipment, and/or handling that resulted in injury. It is very easy for ducklings to injure body parts if not handled correctly. Incubation malpositions and a few mineral/vitamin deficiencies would also be on my mind.

As basic supportive care, you'll want to ensure the ducklings is eating, and drinking enough. Injured birds can sometimes get pecked on by other flock mates, so watch out for that. Being so young, it can be stressful for the birds, so consider supplementing her with a broad vitamin, such as Nutri Dench, Poly-Vi-Sol (without iron), or Sav-A-Chick for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom