NPIP Certification north carolina?

margarita valentine

Songster
6 Years
Dec 27, 2017
New Jersey
Pros and cons of getting NPIP certified in North carolina? I would like to sell hatching eggs to ship. What happens to your flock if they don't pass the test? Can they come in and cull your entire flock?

Pros and cons of getting NPIP certified in North carolina? I would like to sell hatching eggs to ship. What happens to your flock if they don't pass the test? Can they come in and cull your entire flock?
@U_Stormcrow . I'm sure there's state differences, but they know the main information

Hey Margarita.

Short answer is, Yes they Can. But they can also do that if you aren't NPIP. I laid it out in the answer @RojoMars just linked, and if you skip to the end, this is why I choose to NPIP. @NanaK provided a very useful link.

A little more on NPIP broadly, here (Note that I was "at odds" with the opinion of the original poster of that thread, who seemed to be to be stirring the pot).

The advantage of NPIP is that you can legally sell across State lines, and that buyers may make some positive assumptions about your business. The only negatives are potential costs and the inspection inconvenience. You can legally sell within your state without having to be NPIP certified, subject to other state and local zoning limitations on business operations, of course. and no, the "Right to Farm" Act doesn't apply to you.

Thank you everyone! I know you have to be NPIP to ship across states lines, but can you ship eggs within your home state? Also not that I'm worried my birds are ill but what were to happen to your flock if the tests came back positive?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I know you have to be NPIP to ship across states lines, but can you ship eggs within your home state? Also not that I'm worried my birds are ill but what were to happen to your flock if the tests came back positive?

https://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms-meatandeggs/

This link pertains to selling eggs and meat on a small scale.
I believe in NC you can sell 30 dozen eggs per week without any certification and a small amount of poultry meat.

I *think* you can ship hatching eggs within state lines without certification. You can call your local Agricultural Extension office to get more info.

In NC if one bird tests positive for avian influenza they will cull all birds on the premise.

Back
Top Bottom