Nugget - my Golden Comet - laid 3 eggs today

Beard4

Songster
Apr 12, 2020
North Central Alabama
So Nugget our Golden girl (10 months old) laid 3 eggs total today. Anyone else's does this?? How long will it take her system to straighten out

This morning was her beautiful golden brown egg (she is the only one that lays that color in our flock)

Today I noticed her struggling and a small prolapse with a little blood. I immediately brought her in for an Epsom salt bath (while running the water she laid a soft shell in the garage), soaked her, and gave her partial tums. Made sure all the blood was off, prolapse stayed in.. I let her free range with the other chickens for about 30 mins.

I go out to check on her and again another small prolapse..
I bring her in and started another Epsom bath and while she was in the garage waiting she laid another soft shell. This time because it was so close to dark. She is staying in the garage tonight.

FYI.. all 3 had yokes, whites, and the soft shell membrane, only the first had the hard shell.

Unfortunately sometimes sex links will release multiple yolks. Sometimes they become double yolk eggs, and sometimes they come out without a shell. It takes roughly an hour to make the egg without a shell, and another 24 hours or so to make the shell.

All hens slightly prolapse as they lay an egg. It allows the egg to stay clean of fecal matter since everything comes out the cloaca.

I'm not sure there's much you can do to prevent it.

I believe I'd get her some extra calcium in her tonight. If you have calcium citrate +Vitamin D3, that'd be perfect!
@azygous has helped me with treatment for a layer that was laying soft shelled eggs. This is something that can become very problematic. I've had one of my girls lay 2 eggs in a day and because her body doesn't have time to put the shell on more than one egg in 25 hours, any subsequent eggs are soft. @Wyorp Rock is always extremely helpful as well.

I don't have any calcium citrate, I believe I will need to get her some though as she does this at least once a month.. since she started laying. But since her big prolapse (egg bound in November, I think a bad batch of feed), her prolapse seems to stay out a little longer especially when more than 1 egg a day.. which worries me, as the other chickens will peck at her.

Is there a certain strength I should look for?

I believe I'd get her some extra calcium in her tonight. If you have calcium citrate +Vitamin D3, that'd be perfect!
@azygous has helped me with treatment for a layer that was laying soft shelled eggs. This is something that can become very problematic. I've had one of my girls lay 2 eggs in a day and because her body doesn't have time to put the shell on more than one egg in 25 hours, any subsequent eggs are soft. @Wyorp Rock is always extremely helpful as well.

What do you feed her, treats included? Do you have oyster shell on the side for them to take as needed? I know how stressful this can be and I'm sorry. Hopefully her issues will resolve soon. You can give her one of these tablets daily until she's laying nice shelled eggs again and then stop.
20201204_182551.jpg

20201204_182605.jpg

So Nugget our Golden girl (10 months old) laid 3 eggs total today. Anyone else's does this?? How long will it take her system to straighten out

This morning was her beautiful golden brown egg (she is the only one that lays that color in our flock)

Today I noticed her struggling and a small prolapse with a little blood. I immediately brought her in for an Epsom salt bath (while running the water she laid a soft shell in the garage), soaked her, and gave her partial tums. Made sure all the blood was off, prolapse stayed in.. I let her free range with the other chickens for about 30 mins.

I go out to check on her and again another small prolapse..
I bring her in and started another Epsom bath and while she was in the garage waiting she laid another soft shell. This time because it was so close to dark. She is staying in the garage tonight.

FYI.. all 3 had yokes, whites, and the soft shell membrane, only the first had the hard shell.
I don't have any calcium citrate, I believe I will need to get her some though as she does this at least once a month.. since she started laying. But since her big prolapse (egg bound in November, I think a bad batch of feed), her prolapse seems to stay out a little longer especially when more than 1 egg a day.. which worries me, as the other chickens will peck at her.

Is there a certain strength I should look for?
I agree with @HeatherKellyB I would try the calcium and see if that makes a difference.
With her being a hybrid production breed, she may need more supplemental calcium than the others since these girls churn out the eggs.

I agree with @HeatherKellyB I would try the calcium and see if that makes a difference.
With her being a hybrid production breed, she may need more supplemental calcium than the others since these girls churn out the eggs.

Yes she seems to do great with 1 egg a day, but when she is trying to pump out 2-3 it gets crazy.. I still worry about that prolapse from November.. But this morning her vent looked great again.

What do you feed her, treats included? Do you have oyster shell on the side for them to take as needed? I know how stressful this can be and I'm sorry. Hopefully her issues will resolve soon. You can give her one of these tablets daily until she's laying nice shelled eggs again and then stop.
View attachment 2480346
View attachment 2480347
Thanks,

I feed her 16% layer feed the only snacks they have is a cup of 5-grain feed to get them easily back to the coop after free-ranging (1-2 hours a day).. Then I have oyster shells on the side for them to eat at will.. She will straighten up, again she lays great 1 egg a day.. but that 2-3 she just can't keep up

Back
Top Bottom