Nutritional value pupae vs mealworms

als77

Songster
Jan 31, 2021
Europe
Has anyone found any comparison of nutrition value of the pupae stage vs the larvae stage of mealworms?

I'm thinking that it should be better for the birds to eat pupae so they don't have to deal with the exosceleton (although they might not be so interested since it's not really moving?)

I would think that the pupae exoskeleton would be slightly tougher.
I wouldn't think one would have more nutrition than the other but I don't know for sure.

I would think that the pupae exoskeleton would be slightly tougher.
I wouldn't think one would have more nutrition than the other but I don't know for sure.
I should have specified, but I were thinking of right after they shed their last time from the larvae-stage. Shouldn't be any exoskeleton then?

Although now I am wondering about fully developped pupae as well! lol Is the pupae exoskeleton also made up with chitin?

I should have specified, but I were thinking of right after they shed their last time from the larvae-stage. Shouldn't be any exoskeleton then?

Although now I am wondering about fully developped pupae as well! lol Is the pupae exoskeleton also made up with chitin?
Ah, ok.
An exoskeleton is always present on the larva, (it's its' skin), so after molt, the exoskeleton is still present. And pupae casing is the last larva molt. A larva sheds a skin and the skin underneath hardens into a pupae.

Back
Top Bottom