Occasional heavy breathing and weird neck movement (videos included)

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
My 2-year old Dominique will breathe heavily where you can visibly see her breathing (see video). Most noticeable when she's sitting and resting.

She's also been doing these weird neck movements occasionally. I've seen her do it 3 separate times. Each time several times. See video.

I check their crops every morning. She has no crop issues. Nothing 'feels' out of place when I feel around her body/throat. She is otherwise very healthy and normal. Eats, drinks, poops well. The 'symptoms' don't seem to bother her. Just wanted to see if you thought I should be concerned or anything I should do.

Not sure what’s causing her heavy breathing, but the neck movements are her adjusting things in her crop. My chickens do this occasionally too. Is it maybe warmer where you live now? Sometimes they’ll breathe heavier when laying down if it’s getting hot out.
Thanks for the reply. Ok, good to know about the crop adjustment. I have seen mine stick out their necks to adjust but not this odd squirmy movement!
We are in Seattle so it's not particularly hot...

Thanks for the reply. Ok, good to know about the crop adjustment. I have seen mine stick out their necks to adjust but not this odd squirmy movement!
We are in Seattle so it's not particularly hot...
Yea the squirmy movement is weird but totally normal! Not sure why she’s breathing hard then, especially if she’s not having any respiratory issues. The only times my hens have breathed hard is when it’s hot, or I’ve had a hen with reproductive issues who breathed harder than usual.

Back
Top Bottom