Odd Eggs - Scratch’s?

GreenHaven

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
One of my hens is laying eggs (she’s only 7 months) and they are consistently scratched looking. I included photos of one. It is marked on all sides. I have mats on the bottom of the nest box and straw as well, so I don’t think the bottom of the box is doing it. It would have to be her pecking or scratching it. I am wondering if she’s trying to br break them? She’s the flock drama queen - she seems to be involved in any dramas and tiffs and seems to always want the occupied nest box. So I think she’s doing this. Could it be a precursor to egg eating?
Has anyone seen this. This is my first flock so I don’t have much experience…

2B01CCB2-056D-4DE0-BB29-F86B8FFB359D.jpeg
E33DB697-2009-4130-B9A5-E83CC54EF4A3.jpeg
2B01CCB2-056D-4DE0-BB29-F86B8FFB359D.jpeg
E33DB697-2009-4130-B9A5-E83CC54EF4A3.jpeg

In darker pigmented eggs after they are laid the coating is still able to be scratched off. They usually have to cure for a few minutes before it is more stable. My guess is the hen is moving the egg around a bit with her beak trying to get it just right and the pigment is being scratched off.

In darker pigmented eggs after they are laid the coating is still able to be scratched off. They usually have to cure for a few minutes before it is more stable. My guess is the hen is moving the egg around a bit with her beak trying to get it just right and the pigment is being scratched off.
Ahh - She does spend a lot of time in there…

Back
Top Bottom