Odd unexplained hen behavior

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
Hi everyone! This is not an emergency. I'm just concerned about this one hen I have. She is a 4 year old partridge rock I got at a week old. She has never laid in her life and has never shown any interest in hatching eggs (never broody). The noises she makes are little peeps, yet she attacks me sometimes, like a rooster. She also is kind of a loner and doesn't like being touched or held.

She also sits down A LOT. Dispite her desire to always sit down, she is active and loves to fly all over the place on to roosts and such. She eats, drinks, her feet are not damaged, she is not overweight or underweight, has a brightish, perky comb, and bright eyes. Her crop always empties out by the end of the day and she poops normally. She loves dustbathing and finding things in the dirt. Whenever she isn't dustbathing, she is always sitting on the ground.

She has no physical rooster attributes.

Has anyone else have a hen that looks like a hen, but acts kind of like a rooster? Anyone have a healthy hen that never lays eggs ever? I can't seem to find resources online that give me info, except for ones that tell me my hen is sick or has a reproductive disorder. She just does not lay eggs!!! Its so confusing!

how many other birds do you have in your flock? do you have roosters? how does "she" act with them?
I have 4 hens in total, no roosters. She gets picked on by another one of my hens, and picks on another one, so she's in the middle of the pecking order.

She also does not act very aggressive towards the other hens at all, just pecking when she's annoyed. She's only ever really 'attacked' me before.

huh...unsure how to answer....so lets look at it from her point of view...all these other hens are picking on her so maybe she wants to be dominant to somebody and thats you...maybe she feels you are the only 1 she can get over on...OR she needs a reason to reproduce. like a rooster.....post a pic or video please

matilda the old English game was the oldest chicken in the world a few years ago though now lots of chickens have surpassed her. She never laid a single egg

Back
Top Bottom