Official BYC Poll: Do You Keep a Rooster?

Do You Keep a Rooster?

• Yes, just one

Votes: 132 24.8%
  • Yes, more than one

Votes: 250 47.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 61 11.5%
  • No, but I used to

Votes: 41 7.7%
  • What's a rooster?

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • No, but I intend to in the future

Votes: 44 8.3%

• Total voters
Yes it works. When the soundwave hits the carpet pad it absorbs some it and bounces right back out reduced, then hits the other pads I have in there and so on. But I'm thinking an actual carpet on the walls might be even be better cause the soundwaves would actually be bouncing around inside the fiber weaves increasing the sound dampening effect. Not Berber, those single strand carpets.

Guess I'll have to see if anyone is throwing away old carpets, lol. To test my ideas.

Yes it works. When the soundwave hits the carpet pad it absorbs some it and bounces right back out reduced, then hits the other pads I have in there and so on. But I'm thinking an actual carpet on the walls might be even be better cause the soundwaves would actually be bouncing around inside the fiber weaves increasing the sound dampening effect. Not Berber, those single strand carpets.

Guess I'll have to see if anyone is throwing away old carpets, lol. To test my ideas.
Thank you!! Very interesting!!!

I don’t typically keep a rooster, after our first BO roo was people-aggressive, but this past year we accidentally ended up with a Columbian Wyandotte roo. I like him so far and have kept him around. He stands up to the dog (with a secure chain-link fence between them :rolleyes:) and hasn’t gone after me while I’m in with the flock. He is pretty rough on some of the hens (I have only ten), so I’m not sure about that. He may end up having to go. He is gorgeous and gigantic, much bigger than the hens. He growls when something irritates or startles him, so I named him Oscar, after Oscar the Grouch.

I usually, have kept a couple of each variety, I favored at the time. But occasionally have raised, for the kitchen, a hand full of cockerels. I have noticed, it depends on how vigorous or active the particular roosters are, to how many were too much! Sometimes one rooster needs a dozen hens to keep him calm, sometimes a dozen hens are happier with one or none. I usually find about 5 to 6 young hens per good rooster works all round. The roosters don't fight seriously and the hens produce a lot of fertile eggs. Less than 5 hens per rooster I have seen people have more serious problems. The hens are sometimes injured and the roosters fight savagely and sometimes fatally. To minimize possible problems , I usually keep 6 to 10 hens per rooster and am happy with the balance in my coops. I have had to rid myself of the one bad rooster, many times.

I answered that I keep one rooster, but I think it'd be more accurate to say that I tolerate or put up with just one rooster.

He was supposed to be a GIRL.

Seriously, though, he does a very good job of looking after the girls, but he's not very friendly. He allows me to interact with my hens, but he doesn't like me and is always giving me dirty looks. Good thing he is itty bitty (rooster < 2 lbs). If he were to ever get aggressive, he could maybe only peck my ankles. And I could easily squish him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom