Official BYC Poll: Which Egg Hatching Problems Have You Encountered?

Which Egg Hatching Problems Have You Encountered?

• Infertile eggs at lay

Votes: 86 58.9%
  • Eggs not showing signs during candling on Day 7

Votes: 72 49.3%
  • Rotten egg

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Chicks fully formed but dead without pipped egg

Votes: 100 68.5%
  • Eggs pipped, but chick dead in shell

Votes: 76 52.1%
  • ‘Sticky’ chick (smeared with egg contents)

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • Dry shell sticking to chicks

Votes: 47 32.2%
  • Chicks hatching too early with bloody navels

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Rough or poorly healed navels

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Chicks too small

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Large, soft-bodied, ‘mushy ’chicks, hatched but dead, bad odours

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Weak chicks

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • Chicks with short down

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Gasping chicks

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Delayed hatch, eggs not starting to pip until after Day 21

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • ‘Draggy’ hatch (some chicks early, others slow to hatch)

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Malformed chicks (cross beak, missing eye, wry neck, crooked toes, splay legs, etc)

Votes: 57 39.0%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 20 13.7%

• Total voters
I had a top pip once. It was in the current batch I hatched a week ago. She piped then tried to hatch. But she died. I guess she got stuck. Also I had two others die. They got stuck in this wierd flap of skin.

Surprised there wasn't an option for breeched chicks. They do end up dying without help. I always get one breeched chick.
I have one that is terribly malpositioned, keep waiting for it to die 😪 but still growing and moving at last candle. Locked down now because another pipped (staggered hatch, NEVER doing that again! What a PITA!) so we'll see how it goes. Who knows, maybe being all on one side will give it more space to unzip, but I'm afraid it is probably going to be stuck to the shell.

Issue: Lack of cup holders and paper towel holder on the incubator. How do manufacturers expect us to maintain a vigil over the incubator 24/7 without a holder for our drinks and paper towels to wipe our nose prints off the incubator window?
Blooie, have you heard the saying "a watched egg never pips!" 😆 I'm learning this right now. Every time I'm about to give up on one, obsessing over no movement or sound for days, then Poof! Wake up in the morning and there is a whole dang turkey in there.

Blooie, have you heard the saying "a watched egg never pips!" 😆 I'm learning this right now. Every time I'm about to give up on one, obsessing over no movement or sound for days, then Poof! Wake up in the morning and there is a whole dang turkey in there.
I am an egg watcher and it’s torture!!! You hatched some turkeys? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ...... what do you even call a baby turkey?? I’d love to see pics if you have some.

I am an egg watcher and it’s torture!!! You hatched some turkeys? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ...... what do you even call a baby turkey?? I’d love to see pics if you have some.
Poults. This is a picture of the first two, Pip and Frances with their Welsummer chick babysitters. Turkey poults are kind of dumb when it comes to learning to eat and drink, chicksitters help teach them. I'm working on their outside playpen today so they can get out of the box for a while. I brooded 5 chickens for 5 weeks in this thing but I swear this batch is extra rambunctious and are outgrowing it fast!

Attachments

• 20220513_090303.jpg
    20220513_090303.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 4
I hatched call ducks for the first time this year and had several malpositions. All but one succeeded at hatching, but I did safety holes and minor assist. They're vigorous babies though and pipped the small end on their own...they might have hatched without assist, but I don't think they would have without the safety hole to give them oxygen while they worked on that pip.

I often have mixed eggs setting and the chick and pea eggs hatched normal so not sure what to think on that yet.

I had goose and chicken eggs in the incubator. I had put the goose eggs in few days before I put the chicken eggs in, the goose hatched before the chicks hatched but he was moving around SO much after he hatched that he made all the chicks in their eggs die😔

Back
Top Bottom