Old Hen mouth breathing (slightly)

Riverbend Farms

Songster
Apr 21, 2022
California
I have been noticing lately that my older hen has been slightly opening her mouth when she breathes. She is about to turn six and she is a bantam Wyandotte. I was wondering if older birds tend to breathe different than younger ones? She is active and eats and drinks so I am not too worried just want to know what might be going on. She also sneezes sometimes (Maybe 1-2 a day, but so do the others and it has been windy, and it also usually seems like they have just ate/drank)

I have been noticing lately that my older hen has been slightly opening her mouth when she breathes. She is about to turn six and she is a bantam Wyandotte. I was wondering if older birds tend to breathe different than younger ones? She is active and eats and drinks so I am not too worried just want to know what might be going on. She also sneezes sometimes (Maybe 1-2 a day, but so do the others and it has been windy, and it also usually seems like they have just ate/drank)
I am Sorry you have not gotten a quicker response. I wouldn’t know since none of my birds are older than three, but I feel like six still isn’t too old. Hopefully others chime in soon.

I would try to determine if she is gasping for air, or just holding her beak open. Is she sneezing often or every few minutes? Do you see mucus on her beak/nostrils, or bubbles in either eye?

Back
Top Bottom