Older Bantam Rooster issue

M Brennen

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
Northern Vermont
I have an older bantam rooster (about 10 years old) that is exhibiting some weird behaviors. When I first introduced my new birds (and two roosters) to him he was king of the roost. Over the past month, however, he has been chased by the standard roosters and hiding in the coop. At first I just thought that the young boys were exerting their dominance, but the other day it got really cold and my bantam rooster just sat huddled in the run shaking. I brought him and his sister into the house to observe him. He still tends to tremor, noticeable in his tail. He also tends to lose his balance and holds up his right foot at times. Are these typical old age signs? Aside from his poop being a little watery at first, he is eating, drinking, and quite talkative. He just EE s to be moving slowly. Any thoughts?

Has he been eating enough ? Once a dominant rooster loses his mojo they tend to go down hill quickly unless moved away from the birds that have cowed them. The presence of more dominant birds actually causes a decrease in testosterone in the defeated bird. If I wanted to save him, I would provide him with a coop and flock of his own. It is possible that his defeat combined with the cold weather his bodily resources may have been reduced to the point that he can not recover.

Has he been eating enough ? Once a dominant rooster loses his mojo they tend to go down hill quickly unless moved away from the birds that have cowed them. The presence of more dominant birds actually causes a decrease in testosterone in the defeated bird. If I wanted to save him, I would provide him with a coop and flock of his own. It is possible that his defeat combined with the cold weather his bodily resources may have been reduced to the point that he can not recover.
Thank you for responding. I have moved him inside with his sister (my only two bantams). He seems to be doing okay, but still seems to be showing tremors. He also seems to be eating enough.

Back
Top Bottom