Older chick integration into younger flock

AuntieAlex

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
Central New Hampshire
Hello!
So last week I lost my flock to a weasel ☹️ Today I replaced them with some new baby chicks, about 2-3 days old. However I also heard of someone near me selling chicks that are roughly 5-6 weeks old? Maybe older? Unclear right now. My question is I know that when introducing chickens to an existing flock that there can be some pecking order establishment and that it should be done in stages and mostly supervised, but what if the majority of the flock are babies and clearly have no way of establishing themselves as anything with this bigger chick until later? Would that still cause a problem? Would the babies be in more danger or less introducing a single older chick?

thanks!

Hello!
So last week I lost my flock to a weasel ☹ Today I replaced them with some new baby chicks, about 2-3 days old. However I also heard of someone near me selling chicks that are roughly 5-6 weeks old? Maybe older? Unclear right now. My question is I know that when introducing chickens to an existing flock that there can be some pecking order establishment and that it should be done in stages and mostly supervised, but what if the majority of the flock are babies and clearly have no way of establishing themselves as anything with this bigger chick until later? Would that still cause a problem? Would the babies be in more danger or less introducing a single older chick?

thanks!

I’m sorry for the long delay before you get an answer. I would keep them separated but close by each other so they can see each other for a period. So they get used to the others being around. And than when the little ones are a tiny bit bigger introduce them to each other. First supervised ofcourse. Maybe others have a different option,

Back
Top Bottom