Older hens hiding inside

If things don't start going back to normal after this, you might want to examine your flock again, and make sure that one (multiple) of the younger hens isn't the one causing trouble

I would add an observation to my previous post, ie most getting on at 2-3 weeks. However, there were some developments after this.

The #6 ranked (pullet) started intimidating #3 (hen, previously bottom of hen pecking order, and lacks confidence) - then the same #6 pullet started having a go at the injured alpha. The other surprise development was #2 (hen) started giving #3 hen a hard time as well, where previously there were no issues.

Where I keep #1 injured hen separate (pens, roosting) at the moment, I have put in #3 with her for roosting and when in the run, to keep #1 company, and protect #3 from any bullying. Free-ranging generally no issues at all, and #3 will free-range with the rest. She has settled a bit more, and become 'cautious' and 'on alert' when others are near by, but does not flee from the others as she was doing. #4 (alpha pullet) has chilled out completely, and #5 (pullet) is friendly to everyone (buff orpington). So I would say some minor tweaking or settling in of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom