Olive Welsummer pullet egg

Cammo77

Songster
Dec 29, 2023
Darling Downs, Queensland, Australia.
G'day everyone,

We just had one of our pullets who we bought as a pure Welsummer lay her 1st egg. It's a lot smaller but it is also an olive colour not dark brown like I thought they were meant to be. She looks like a Welsummer to me but is it possible she could be a cross? Or can pullets lay different coloured eggs on their first egg? Could only be her as none of the other pullets look close to laying and my wife saw her go in the box.

Attachments

• 20240211_175058.jpg
    20240211_175058.jpg
    926.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240211_174856.jpg
    20240211_174856.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 17
G'day everyone,

We just had one of our pullets who we bought as a pure Welsummer lay her 1st egg. It's a lot smaller but it is also an olive colour not dark brown like I thought they were meant to be. She looks like a Welsummer to me but is it possible she could be a cross? Or can pullets lay different coloured eggs on their first egg? Could only be her as none of the other pullets look close to laying and my wife saw her go in the box.
the skin should be yellow; her pale legs suggest some crossing somewhere. And an olive egg suggests the impurity was from a blue egg layer (blue + dark brown gives rise to olive); an araucana or legbar or suchlike.

the skin should be yellow; her pale legs suggest some crossing somewhere. And an olive egg suggests the impurity was from a blue egg layer (blue + dark brown gives rise to olive); an araucana or legbar or suchlike.
Thank you. I was a bit confused as I thought a Legbar or Araucana cross would have weird feathering around the head. Could be back crossed. Not sure. The lady we bought them off was selling for a friend so she didn't really know a lot about them.

Back
Top Bottom