Once Upon a Farm Flock Adventures

Pics
Another delayed update post, it seems to be a common thread at the moment. Today I have spent most of the day brushing linseed oil onto my new raised garden beds. Finally have all that are planned (for now) in place and ready to fill. I will have to order more soil to fill them, but the chickens will be very happy about that. Fresh soil is basically their favorite activity.

I've just done a whole flock deworming/demiting again, a two dose 10 days apart treatment of an ivermectin and praziquantel based horse wormer. I usually use levamisole or flubenol as a drench, and use ivermectin externally, but with so many chickens now, and the fact that over half of them sleep in trees, I relented and went full chemical warfare. I really must come up with some sort of chicken handling yards, that allows me to herd and capture them for individual treatment. I do have what I call the 'catch pen' but they are wise to my ways now, and several of them simply decide not to participate in the catching event by flying over the fence and out to the orchard. It is... frustrating. I shall continue to ponder on a solution that works for my yard.

It has been cold, and also warm, so I am taking that as a sign that spring is on the way. I've started the first of the seeds inside, including some early tomatoes and peppers, which is much earlier than I've started them before.... so we shall see!

Here is a photo of one of the young cockerels trying to get the attention of Josephine. It didn't work out for him. One day he will be impressive enough to win her heart!

20230729_093928.jpg

My quick video of the week:

Well, I'm tucked up inside with a cold, while it's raining buckets outside. The flock is not amused.
I have my first committed broody of the season, Ginger Bonnet wants to be a mama for the first time. I've got her set up in the broody hen pen, with 9 eggs. She's had them for 6 days now, so far so good.
I saw one of my cockerel boys scratching away on some rotting logs, quietly making 'come here ladies' food call sounds to himself. It was very cute. Still not a crow peep out of either of them though. They've got to be the most chill, easy going cockerels I've ever had.

I've almost finished winter plantings. Two plum trees and two hazelnut trees are in. I put in four blueberries two days ago. That just leaves two hazelnuts to go. I've got seeds started, it's all very exciting! Spring is in the air.

Baby rooster learning his job
20230817_101034.jpg

Ginger Bonnet sitting tight
20230816_115649.jpg

Behold! Life!
20230818_132052.jpg

Well, Ginger Bonnet did not hatch any chicks. Such a shame, really not sure what happened. I have a suspicion Kowalski the head rooster isn't providing the best genetic material anymore. With that suspicion in mind I set eggs under the next broody from hens I knew were being mated by the cockerels. Well, she has chicks!
I selected one of the cockerels to keep and the other has become lunch for a lovely family. Things are going well having a rooster and a cockerel again. I think Kowalski is relieved to have the help actually. There's quite a bit of crowing and wing flapping but aside from that peace reigns. It helps that the cockerel is Kowalski's son, and has inherited his exceedingly laid back personality. Unfortunately I haven't got a good photo of the so far nameless cockerel now he is mostly grown up.

Spring is in full swing here. I'm flat out trying to keep on top of seedlings and early plantings into the garden, the lawn pasture is growing like crazy and the chickens can't eat it fast enough. Two more hens are sitting on eggs, and I've had to broody break a couple more. I can only cope with so many chicks at a time!

Adorable chick photos to follow, and I made a huge video all about how I hatch chicks with my hens.

chickstill4_2.39.1.jpg

CHICKSTILL6_2.12.1.jpg

chickstill_1.1.1.jpg

chickstill3_2.37.1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom