One chick won't stop chirping! Help for a new chicken farmer?

Thanks for all the help! I'll be sure to try giving her a little more one-on-one parent time.
Another note: We got another chick! Her name is Valentina- named after theitalian clothing company (that also produces makeup) Valentino. Big sister that moved out of the house decided to get a chick of her own to raise, and she's an Australorp hen!
She settled in within minutes thanks to the help of our 5 day old girls :D
(Sorry for the bad picture, but I'm sure you can see our dark-fuzzed little girl!)

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_163841.jpg
    IMG_20200518_163841.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 11
I love how they each have their own personalities and some start showing up super early. One of ours in kind of the opposite of yours. If we take her out to give her "humie" ( human ) time, she yelps very loudly until she is back with her flock. Otherwise, she is perfectly normal with the rest of them.

My girls all have very distinct personalities, including the newest addition to the flock, Valentina.
Unice is the big, quiet, cuddly sweetheart that likes to sit on mama's arm. She kind of hangs out wherever you put her. She likes sitting by the fire-table at nighttime on the patio.
Chickety is a cuddle-bug and isn't comfortable with humans unless she's underneath their blanket, under their shirt, or on the shoulder if the hood of my little brother's hoodie is up. (She *loves* my little brother.)
Tiny is still the smallest, but her wings are coming in very quickly and she's learning how to fly (much to the dismay of her 'mother', my sister who's very anxious and freaks out when the little girl flies up to the top of the couch. She thought Tiny was the timid baby but after just a few days she's the most adventerous in the flock)
Nori is a loudmouth- and she doesn't like to sit still. When she's on me, she can't sit anywhere unless its under my chin, my shoulders, or with her head and beak in my ear (which tickles like crazy). She also likes to stick her head into the hat I usually wear- and will sometimes jump onto my glasses when I'm sitting down. As far as I'm concerned, she's a tickle-monster that's ready to go at your ears and run her beak through your hair behind your neck and make you laugh. She doesn't actually 'sit' anywhere, but she will stay still for a few minutes if I take off my hat and let her climb inside.
Valentina (as of her first day with us) has a little bit of an attitude, but we think it's because the other girls peck at her. She's new and she's still finding her place in the pecking order. She'll peck your finger, but she loves sitting in people's hands and crawling up your sleeve (even though you'll have no idea how to get her out without losing her, because she only climbs up to the middle of the sleeve.)

As a first time chicken-owner, I'm honestly really surprised with- not only how fast they develop- but how fast they learn their own personalities.

i agree with ConnieA all living things sometimes want the motherly touch. But since your new at becoming chicken keepers just be aware that as they grow and start laying your hens will be louder than Roos. 5 years I started my journey with 5 3 day old chicks from a feed store then i went back the following week and bought 12 more I still have 9 left. No roos we didn't want the neighbors complaining either but 2 of my hens crows every morning. And they are chatty all day long and especially when I walk out to great them which is probably 5 times aday. I am always gathering eggs, feed treats, checking water, etc. And just watching them is so amazing they are funny birds with funny expressions. We now have 10 bantams, 9 standard original hens, and 1 green egger that is 9-10 months old that lays a army green, and 10 hatchlings from incubator and broody hen. I love being their momma flocker hen. I am new to incubating and first time shipped egg buyer I am adding 3 Black Copper Marans and 2 Salmon Faverolle's to my flock.

good luck with your darlings they grow so fast, you will not be disappointed with them at all....

Back
Top Bottom