One egg - hasn't laid since

KatefromOz

Songster
5 Years
Sep 5, 2017
Hi all, my little araucana hen laid her first egg 2 weeks ago exactly :celebrate
Very exciting, she was 28 weeks old at the time! However, she hasn't laid again since. It's autumn/fall here so the days are getting shorter and cooler but I think it's a little strange to get just the one egg. Is it just the weather, or my hen adjusting to laying, or could it be something else? They have recently been wormed and dusted for mites/lice. Thanks :)

There are 2 things happening. Chicken just started laying, so it is not automatic that they start producing regularly. You are in the southern hemisphere, so winter is about to set in. Maybe it is not cold winter,,,,, but the days are getting shorter for you. I think the combination of these 2 things is why the laying stopped. It may restart,,,,, but I think good production will not be until springtime for you.
Araucanas are not High Production chickens like many Sexlinks are. Those tend to lay year round with less fluctuation, except during molt. Then again, subjected to shorter lifespan. :(
WISHING YOU BEST.......................... :highfive:

They can be irregular when they start laying. Does this pullet have opportunity to free range? She might find a different spot to lay as another option

Thanks for your reply. I did figure it was probably a combination of the cooler weather/shorter days and her being a new layer. I guess I thought I'd get a little more than one egg though lol. I will be patient and let her do her thing. Thanks again :)

There are 2 things happening. Chicken just started laying, so it is not automatic that they start producing regularly. You are in the southern hemisphere, so winter is about to set in. Maybe it is not cold winter,,,,, but the days are getting shorter for you. I think the combination of these 2 things is why the laying stopped. It may restart,,,,, but I think good production will not be until springtime for you.
Araucanas are not High Production chickens like many Sexlinks are. Those tend to lay year round with less fluctuation, except during molt. Then again, subjected to shorter lifespan. :(
WISHING YOU BEST.......................... :highfive:

Yes the girls do free range, however its only our backyard and a double garage that they have so there aren't too many hiding spots. I'll just wait it out and hopefully she lays again soon :)

They can be irregular when they start laying. Does this pullet have opportunity to free range? She might find a different spot to lay as another option

Did you get it figured out? wwas there a hidden nest or just taking her time to regularly lay?

Back
Top Bottom