one egg to go and my broody is not setting

claraserena

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
We have 4 healthy chicks, last one hatched yesterday. om sat so patiently for 3 weeks. Now she's getting up a little though still in about the same spot. She's taking great care of the chicks.
There's one egg left under her--I stuck in under her two days after she started setting on eggs so guess this is my fault. This morning (day 21) the egg was pipped (tiny opening in shell and the membrane) and I hear peeping/pecking). I am leaving it under the mom for tonight. That will be But if she does get up more, is there any way I can help hatch it under a heat lamp?. Don't have an incubator. Temp under the heat lamp is about 100--I could get it warmer by lowering the lamp. But what could I do for humidity--maybe wrap it lightly in a damp paper towel. I will leave it under her and take my chances but I'm afraid that if she does move around more we'll lose the chick.
She just got up again. What should I do?

Oh goodness! You might try sitting the egg on a damp towel under the lamp.
Just keep an eye on it and if it appears to be stuck in the shell, be ready to help it out.

I went thru a period (pre-incubator) when the ants were so bad in my coop that I had to bring in every egg as soon as it pipped or the ants would get it.
I put them in a wicker basket under a light with a damp towel underneath and *mostly* they hatched. A large percentage of them I had to help out of the shell, I guess, because the humidity was too low (pre-hygrometer, too).

Good luck,
Lisa

If it was me , I would let mom take care of buisness, she has young to care for and a late hatch. If mom was totally alone on her own the stress would be reduced and everything would be ok. Do you have constructive help to offer?

Medicated chick starter and water placed near the nest, and a stand back watch approach might work if you give it a chance.

I think mom is in control, what do you think?

bigzio

She's on the the egg and the other chicks now and it's evening. I'll keep it dark and hope they all sleep.
If the hen;s off the nest tomorrow and the egg is still peeping I will try the paper towel/heat lamp.
I said a little prayer for the pipping chick.
Thank you for your help!

That's good
smile.png

Maybe by morning, the chick will be hatched.
I hope everything goes well.
Lisa

claraserena, please give mom the chance to show you she knows more than you do. This late egg you added may take 12 to 24 hours to hatch. To interfere with mom when everything is going great can result with added problems that would never occur if given time to hatch. Placing mother hen on your time table is something to consider. Good Luck.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom