One hen went broody. Other hen caught the broody bug! Can I take most or all of the eggs away to keep from having 5-6 roosters added to my flock?

Yikes!!
Glad you were able to save 2 chicks, hope thy both thrive in the brooder.

Hopefully they will lay eggs again in a week or two since they aren’t raising one chick.
Are they still sitting on the nests?
They won't lay again for at least a week or two after getting off the nest.

Yikes!!
Glad you were able to save 2 chicks, hope thy both thrive in the brooder.

Are they still sitting on the nests?
They won't lay again for at least a week or two after getting off the nest.
Two chicks are thriving!! Both hens started laying again today. The two chicks became besties and I take them outside for a few minutes every day. It’s the best I can do with my current setup to ensure their safety.

Just be aware however many eggs you leave your broody/s with they potentially could all end up being cockerels (it happens). Its not always 50/50 and usually swings more one way or the other.

:fl for girls.
yes out of 10 we got 4 girls and 6 boys. I cannot kill them or find new home s. So at age 70 spend, id say, 80% of my energy doing chicken care which the majority is keeping the girls safe from the boys (often unsuccessful). I do not hold the boys responsible for their testosterone level. Just be aware this will happen and its not fair to whichever sex will suffer the consequences.

Back
Top Bottom