One of my bonded pair died, what to do

Dec 3, 2020
I was given 2 rescue ducklings that turned out to be male Pekins. They were extremely bonded to one another. I tried introducing them to my flock of 6 ducks a few times but the girls just bullied them, and since the Pekins were kind of special needs from being malnourished before we got them (one had a bad leg and the other a hunchback) I just made them their own pen and treated them like my special pets.

Unfortunately, today one of them was killed by my dog. I am distraught that this happened and worried about the remaining boy. Should I try to integrate him with the ladies now that he is older and stronger? Will he want to be friends with them more since he is alone now? Or should I try to find him another companion and continue keeping them separately from the ladies? He is the sweetest duck, very friendly with humans, and I am so worried he is already going to be lonely, since he was used to having his friend with him at all times.

Thank you.

I would integrate him with the flock it will take time. Its important to let them sort it out. If the ladies are bullying him look critically at the situation before you intervene. Is there blood? Is he missing feathers? If he is not sustaining bodily harm its best to let the pecking order sort itself, although it can look rough at times, ignore that and look for actual damage.

I would integrate him with the flock it will take time. Its important to let them sort it out. If the ladies are bullying him look critically at the situation before you intervene. Is there blood? Is he missing feathers? If he is not sustaining bodily harm its best to let the pecking order sort itself, although it can look rough at times, ignore that and look for actual damage.
I 100% agree. Great advice

Thank you. There has never been any actual damage and he is a lot bigger than they are (buffs, khaki campbells and runners), they just run at him and peck him. How long would you say it might take?

One more question- since he is a pekin and the ladies are smaller, will they be fine having him in with them? I don't want him to hurt them. He does still have slightly bent legs from his previous malnutrition that didn't correct all the way, so they're probably a lot faster than he is, but I assume he will eventually try to mate with them.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

I would probably also try to integrate him into your female flock. If possible can you section off a small area for him so that the girls can see him but not peck at him? That could make the transition easier.

One time I added a duck to my flock whose sister had died. My ducks didn't accept her for 2 years. The pecking stopped after several weeks, but they never loved her like they loved each other.

Another time I added 3 ducks to my flock and they waddled right in like they had always belonged.

In my experience it is impossible to say how ducks will respond, as they are individuals. But I hope your girls accept him in time. If they don't you can always try to find him a new friend.

So sorry for your loss. đź’ś Most of the time when my ducks have tried to mate, it's in the water, so I would think you would be ok. But you could always separate him during mating season if you see it becoming an issue.

Last summer in a fit of grief after losing my beloved drake, I took all the eggs I had in the refrigerator and put them into the incubator. Unfortunately, only one was fertilized, so I only got one lonely duckling named Ella. It was later in the year, so no one locally had ducklings, and the only one I could find to be her companion at that time was a Rouen duck (named Stevie). So now I have all Welsh Harlequins and one Rouen. Ella and Stevie are best friends. The other ducks quickly accepted Ella but were skeptical of Stevie at first. However, after spending many long, cold days together in the coop this winter, everyone gets along just fine now. So it could just take time. But I will say he will definitely be happier with the other ducks than by himself- even if they do pick on him at first!

So sorry for your loss. đź’ś Most of the time when my ducks have tried to mate, it's in the water, so I would think you would be ok. But you could always separate him during mating season if you see it becoming an issue.

Last summer in a fit of grief after losing my beloved drake, I took all the eggs I had in the refrigerator and put them into the incubator. Unfortunately, only one was fertilized, so I only got one lonely duckling named Ella. It was later in the year, so no one locally had ducklings, and the only one I could find to be her companion at that time was a Rouen duck (named Stevie). So now I have all Welsh Harlequins and one Rouen. Ella and Stevie are best friends. The other ducks quickly accepted Ella but were skeptical of Stevie at first. However, after spending many long, cold days together in the coop this winter, everyone gets along just fine now. So it could just take time. But I will say he will definitely be happier with the other ducks than by himself- even if they do pick on him at first!
Thank you. I thought about getting 2 pekin ducklings that can be his new BFFs but don't want to do anything rash. I have had him in with the female ducks the yesterday and this morning for an hour or so supervised and he is doing just fine. He is standing up to them now, maybe because he is older. And they all seem curious with each other, so I am hopeful that it won't take too long. The most aggression I've noticed is from a couple of my older chickens who are at the top of their pecking order. The chickens and ducks have separate coops, but I let them free-range during the day so they mix then.

Back
Top Bottom