One week old chick does not seem mentally "all there", how do I know if there is something I can do to help it?

Here is a picture of the little peanut. He falls asleep in my hand. 😢❤️ Also, I don't know if the picture does it justice, but look at the size difference between his legs and the one behind him on the log. He is so tiny. It becomes more apparent every day. He started doing this thing where he stands on one leg and falls asleep. But 5 mimutes before that he walked perfectly fine across the whole coop. I just really can't tell whether or not he is not feeling well and if he should be euthanized. Ugh
Sure is a cutie...
Personally I'd separate him and put him in a something by himself...idk if that's the "right" advice...but he definitely has something going on

I wish I could just keep him as a pet and save him, but as far as I know broiler chickens won't survive passed 12 weeks. 😢
YOU CAN!! Broilers can live longer but some things have to be done to ensure happy life: lower protein intake, no scratch mealworms or any treat, and large run or free range to exercise to keep weight down. After this baby puts up that fight it is a shame to end her

I guess I would have to ask myself if I have the extra time to take care of a handicapped chicken and if I have room to keep it separated from the rest if they do start picking on her. It is a cutie and I would have a hard time culling it myself. I have ducks but love all animals. I wish you the best no matter what you decide. I am glad someone was able to give you advice on how to make it thrive in case you decide to go that route. Good Luck with your decision,

I guess I would have to ask myself if I have the extra time to take care of a handicapped chicken and if I have room to keep it separated from the rest if they do start picking on her. It is a cutie and I would have a hard time culling it myself. I have ducks but love all animals. I wish you the best no matter what you decide. I am glad someone was able to give you advice on how to make it thrive in case you decide to go that route. Good Luck with your decision,
Is your little chick still doing well?

Back
Top Bottom